how would you change sheffield city centre?

3 minutes ago, crisispoint said:

Hull as free parking for 3 hours in area around the Marina, 3 hours free parking around the town hall might bring quite few folk in.

Err. Am I missing something here. How is free parking in Hull going to bring folk into Sheffield?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, crisispoint said:

Hull as free parking for 3 hours in area around the Marina, 3 hours free parking around the town hall might bring quite few folk in.

Sheffield doesn’t have any time restriction on council controlled parking in the city centre, so having some kind of free period like that isn’t straightforward if it needs to be enforceable.

My guess would be that the parking would largely be filled with people who work in the central area, who would just swap parking spaces with a colleague when the free period was up. There isn’t actually a huge amount of council controlled parking left in the city centre. So, there would be limited benefit for visitors and some may even be frustrated and disappointed when they found it difficult to get a space.

There were similar issues when council parking was free on Sundays. The prime spaces would be filled by the folk who worked in the city centre, leading to limited availability  for visitors

• Like 1

also in my experience when working in the City Centre pretty much all the on street parking from Surrey St, Norfolk St, Charles St and (the name escapes me but Brenda's Chip shop is on it) is all taken up with electric vehicles - I assume taking advantage of the permit scheme 

All these people who harp on about wanting free parking are living in cloud cukkoo land. 

In there heads it would mean they could waltz into town at 10am and get parked right outside the shop they are using. 

When in reality it would be exactly as Planner1 suggested. 

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, woodmally1979 said:

A number of things:

1) Scrap cycle lanes. You see about 5 cyclists a day using them and thats it. Its a nightmare for motorists.

2) Deal with the aggressive begging. This is a huge problem. Its not the homeless its those that either have accommodation or those that have been offered it and refused and spend all day begging drinking taking drugs fighting and stealing.  Ive lost track of the times ambulances have been called because some spice addict has collapsed. Only to find the same spice addict has refused ambulance being called last time.  Every week you read of someone being arrested for being agressive to the poor shop keepers trying to earn a crust.

3) Get Fargate finished. It wasnt needed to begin with. They have disrupted everyone's lives over this revamp that was not necessary. 

How are cycle lanes in any way a “nightmare” for motorists? They get cyclists out of the way of motorists, so actually. Make it easier for them.

Begging is an issue in most towns and cities, it isn’t just here. It’s a problem we need to address as a society.

You haven’t heard the one about omelettes and eggs have you? Yes, it was needed in my opinion, Fargate was on a downhill trajectory and being taken over by pop up shops and vape outlets. You can’t dig up the middle of a city centre an expect it to go al to plan, there are always unexpected problems no matter how well you plan it. It should be worth the wait.