Sheffield City Council Acquires Historic Salvation Army Citadel

image.jpeg

The iconic former Salvation Army Citadel in Sheffield city centre, which has stood on Cross Burgess Street for over a century, has been acquired by Sheffield City Council.

Built in 1894, the Grade II listed building with its striking red-brick, castle-like frontage served as the main venue for the Salvation Army for more than 100 years before they vacated in 1999. Since then, the Citadel has remained unused, but its location places it in the heart of some of the city's most transformative developments, including the Heart of the Cityproject.

A Key Addition to a Transforming City Centre

The Citadel's surroundings have undergone significant redevelopment, including the award-winning Cambridge Street Collective food hall and Leah’s Yard, along with new shops, cafés, and the recently opened Pounds Park. The building is also adjacent to the new Radisson Blu Hotel, a 4-star hotel boasting 154 rooms, a rooftop bar, and a terrace with views over the Peace Gardens.

Across the road, Urban Splash is working on plans for the former Cole Brothers department store, and further down Fargate, the area is undergoing a transformation into a new public realm, with the pedestrianisation of Pinstone Street and Surrey Street set to follow.

Future Plans for the Citadel

Sheffield City Council has already begun the process of assessing the Citadel to determine its future usage. A further announcement is expected in the coming months. The council’s acquisition of the building follows court proceedings between the council and Tandem Properties Limited, with both parties now working together to bring the historic Citadel back into use.

In a joint statement, Cllr Ben Miskell, Chair of the Transport, Regeneration and Climate Policy Committee, and Robert Hill said:

"Sheffield City Council and Tandem Properties Limited are pleased to have reached terms to settle court proceedings, and the Council has acquired the property known as the Citadel. The Council will now be progressing plans to see this important heritage building improved, and both parties look forward to proposals to bring the building back into use. Neither party will be making further comment on this agreement."

Further details on the Citadel's redevelopment are expected soon, with hopes that this historic Sheffield landmark will soon be revived as part of the city’s dynamic and ever-evolving landscape.

• Like 2

I worked for the Sally Army about 13 years ago in Woodhouse Village.

It was supposed to be long term volunteering teaching older local residents how to use IT equipment, but it fell off due to "lack of demand"! I wouldn't mind but surely they would've gauged the local demand for the service before they signed me up to travel all the way up there for it?!

6 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

image.jpeg

The iconic former Salvation Army Citadel in Sheffield city centre, which has stood on Cross Burgess Street for over a century, has been acquired by Sheffield City Council.

Built in 1894, the Grade II listed building with its striking red-brick, castle-like frontage served as the main venue for the Salvation Army for more than 100 years before they vacated in 1999. Since then, the Citadel has remained unused, but its location places it in the heart of some of the city's most transformative developments, including the Heart of the Cityproject.

A Key Addition to a Transforming City Centre

The Citadel's surroundings have undergone significant redevelopment, including the award-winning Cambridge Street Collective food hall and Leah’s Yard, along with new shops, cafés, and the recently opened Pounds Park. The building is also adjacent to the new Radisson Blu Hotel, a 4-star hotel boasting 154 rooms, a rooftop bar, and a terrace with views over the Peace Gardens.

Across the road, Urban Splash is working on plans for the former Cole Brothers department store, and further down Fargate, the area is undergoing a transformation into a new public realm, with the pedestrianisation of Pinstone Street and Surrey Street set to follow.

Future Plans for the Citadel

Sheffield City Council has already begun the process of assessing the Citadel to determine its future usage. A further announcement is expected in the coming months. The council’s acquisition of the building follows court proceedings between the council and Tandem Properties Limited, with both parties now working together to bring the historic Citadel back into use.

In a joint statement, Cllr Ben Miskell, Chair of the Transport, Regeneration and Climate Policy Committee, and Robert Hill said:

"Sheffield City Council and Tandem Properties Limited are pleased to have reached terms to settle court proceedings, and the Council has acquired the property known as the Citadel. The Council will now be progressing plans to see this important heritage building improved, and both parties look forward to proposals to bring the building back into use. Neither party will be making further comment on this agreement."

Further details on the Citadel's redevelopment are expected soon, with hopes that this historic Sheffield landmark will soon be revived as part of the city’s dynamic and ever-evolving landscape.

Good . Well done to the Council :thumbsup:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bassett one said:

just a thought its a listed building so costs spiral and how much have SCC paid? i know its part of a area to be changed, but at what cost?

You were literally just advocating in another thread for the Council to buy the Debenhams building, where it was then pointed out that if they did then folk would just complain about what it was costing.... 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was it not used by those crazy occupy Sheffield folk a while ago? The great unwashed who camped outside the Cathedral for a while. I seem to remember when they got kicked out of Sheffield Cathedral they moved there to their new "home".  i take it they got bored after a few days.

7 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

You were literally just advocating in another thread for the Council to buy the Debenhams building, where it was then pointed out that if they did then folk would just complain about what it was costing.... 🤣

I rest my case m'Lord.  

Sometimes it just writes itself 😁

7 hours ago, bassett one said:

just a thought its a listed building so costs spiral and how much have SCC paid? i know its part of a area to be changed, but at what cost?

I believe you also said this

yes the building needs work to bring it to modern standards, why dont SCC buy it and re-do it and let it out to a  major company , charge rent and make a profit long term,then sell on as a business investment with tennants,