Weerz Me Dad? Have you read it?

Touche

Read it a while ago, and like many others found it hard to put down. A great read :) (as is 'Weerz Me Mam?')

I currently live near Manchester, and picked up on Fred's books from another thread, so, being an Upperthorpe lad from the same era, I asked at our local Library. They had to 'order' them for me from another library - Killamarsh would you believe !! I picked them up yesterday, and needless to say, have read them ( 'Weerz Me Dad' & 'Weerz Me Mam' ) already.

I used to live at the bottom of Burlington Street, and can identify not only with district & places, but also with almost all of the escapades. I was probably the boy at the bottom of Burlington Street who disappeared with the ball ( thrown by the postman ). Most of the scrapes that Fred and his pals got into, so did I with mine. Its amazing ! I went Crookesmoor School, and stood in single file, and got caned when I was innocent as well as guilty ! I also went through the Whitsuntide 'rigmarole' - although not as auspiciously !!

Went Sunday School on Scotland Street for about three weeks, then got thrown out, put a load of cats down cellar grates ( must have been a 'craze' at the time ? ), had skirmishes with the Mushroom Lane ('Mushy' ) gang ( won some, lost some ), played football and cricket on the 'tip', spent a lot of time on Martin Street, I used to go to see 'Umpy' - the cobbler at the end of Martin Lane, etc., etc. - almost a carbon copy. By the way I even had a John Bull Printing set and did similar things with it. My Mam & Dad used to go to the Burlington pub on a saturday night ( across the road from us ) ! I used to sometimes look in through the window or open door - its uncanny ! Roger Taylor and his sister Vivian were some of my best friends at school. Bobby Vickers was also a very good friend in teenage years, and so on.

What memories ! If you 'ad nowt, yed nowt to loise ! The simplest things were a real treat. It took me about two days, after seeing it in a shop window for the first time !, to realise that a banana was a fruit and could be eaten ! Happy days, at least people cared about each other a bit more then.

Thanks Fred, you've almost written my early life story. I'll see if I have still got that ball of yours !!

GLOS

It's great to hear of so many people who have enjoyed his books. Such a shame there won't be anymore!

I'm still shocked by his death :(

I am devastated ! I thought Fred was still alive and well. I was going to try and contact him to 'exchange notes' and memories. Maybe there would have been enough for another book ? What a blow !

Thanks for letting me know Shiesh.

GLOS

I currently live near Manchester, and picked up on Fred's books from another thread, so, being an Upperthorpe lad from the same era, I asked at our local Library. They had to 'order' them for me from another library - Killamarsh would you believe !! I picked them up yesterday, and needless to say, have read them ( 'Weerz Me Dad' & 'Weerz Me Mam' ) already.

I used to live at the bottom of Burlington Street, and can identify not only with district & places, but also with almost all of the escapades. I was probably the boy at the bottom of Burlington Street who disappeared with the ball ( thrown by the postman ). Most of the scrapes that Fred and his pals got into, so did I with mine. Its amazing ! I went Crookesmoor School, and stood in single file, and got caned when I was innocent as well as guilty ! I also went through the Whitsuntide 'rigmarole' - although not as auspiciously !!

Went Sunday School on Scotland Street for about three weeks, then got thrown out, put a load of cats down cellar grates ( must have been a 'craze' at the time ? ), had skirmishes with the Mushroom Lane ('Mushy' ) gang ( won some, lost some ), played football and cricket on the 'tip', spent a lot of time on Martin Street, I used to go to see 'Umpy' - the cobbler at the end of Martin Lane, etc., etc. - almost a carbon copy. By the way I even had a John Bull Printing set and did similar things with it. My Mam & Dad used to go to the Burlington pub on a saturday night ( across the road from us ) ! I used to sometimes look in through the window or open door - its uncanny ! Roger Taylor and his sister Vivian were some of my best friends at school. Bobby Vickers was also a very good friend in teenage years, and so on.

What memories ! If you 'ad nowt, yed nowt to loise ! The simplest things were a real treat. It took me about two days, after seeing it in a shop window for the first time !, to realise that a banana was a fruit and could be eaten ! Happy days, at least people cared about each other a bit more then.

Thanks Fred, you've almost written my early life story. I'll see if I have still got that ball of yours !!

GLOS

they ought to call you ./ BURLINGTON BERTI/do you remember that saying .i think you said it all GLOS... i have read his books ..MAGIC

they ought to call you ./ BURLINGTON BERTI/do you remember that saying .i think you said it all GLOS... i have read his books ..MAGIC

Thanks 'jennyren'. 'BURLINGTON BERTIE' - I like that ! - Ought to have been my 'Thread' name.

I agree, the books are magic. Many hilarious events & characters ( like on bonfire night, when 'fuel' was running low, we kids used to 'creep' round the 'yards' to see what 'burnables' people had left outside - e.g. wooden step-ladders, old 'yard chairs', etc. - never to be seen again !! I, like Fred was, am very proud of my Heritage.

GLOS

Does anyone know whether this book is available in the US? I'd like to get it.

There are a couple of used copies on here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1901587177/ref=dp_olp_2/102-2528440-2757718

If you want a copy shipping from the U.K, I know a book seller who has some copies (not sure if they are new or used) and I will find out a price for the book and postage and send one to you.

There are a couple of used copies on here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1901587177/ref=dp_olp_2/102-2528440-2757718

If you want a copy shipping from the U.K, I know a book seller who has some copies (not sure if they are new or used) and I will find out a price for the book and postage and send one to you.

I would really appreciate that, thanks

Archived