Weerz Me Dad? Have you read it?

Touche

• 6 months later...

kiwi - i have just come across your thread about the three frank hartley books. Frank was my dad and sadly he died in nov 1999 just after the last green bottle was published. I am so glad you enjoyed his books as he was immensly proud of them and his roots.

First read "Weerz my dad" about four years ago,and still pull it out for a chuckle.

There is three other books on a similar topic the 1940 - 1950 s that l would recommend. The author Frank Hartley born 1935 tells of his upbringing around Attercliffe. The books "Where sparrows coughed" "The last green bottle" and "Dancing on the cobbles".is well written and humorous,anyone wanting to know what life was like in those years, will have a genuine insight.l know because l also, was born in 1935 in Attercliffe and his life is almost a replica of my own.

P.S l would love to know if the author wrote any other books? l live in N Z now and dont get round the book shops.

kiwi- i have just come across your thread about frank hartleys three books. frank was my dad and sadly he died in november 1999 just after the last green bottle was published. i am so glad that you enjoyed his books he was very proud of his roots and for him to have had these books published gave him so much pleasure.

• 4 weeks later...
An other local book of interest JACK THE LAD, by a charactor John Wragg.

A local buisnessman/jack the lad memorys or war torn sheffield and years on.

anyone got a copy I can buy or know where I can get hold of one,just looked on ebay but none there.

I read Weerz Me Dad and immediately went out and bought Weerz Me Mam. I loved them so much, I tried to contact Fred to let him know how much I enjoy his writing. When I found out he'd died, and under such tragic circumstances, I was really upset. R.I.P. Fred Lad.

Archived