Sheffield history web page

Knowing how Plain Talker likes old maps, here is one showing Shelf Street!.:)I bet your bum was cold!:P.The shop was an old-established business; in the1925 directory "Herbert Bower, draper" was at 147 Leadmill Road, and Mrs Bower was still there in the early 1970s.

oh, yes, (she said in her best "Churchill Insurance voice"!) I love old maps, they absolutely fascinate me.

Thanks so much for giving us that linky, Hillsbro.,

• 2 weeks later...
shelf street ran from 145 leadmill road to sheaf gardens.

Still around in the 1950 street guide

thanks for this my gt grandad and his parents lived there way back in 1901.

Must go looking for it or where it used to be.

Really pleased to get this info and a picture of the street.

You could read Chantryland ,I know it only deals with one area but contains much useful history of Sheffield.For instance, did you know that the boundary between Sheffield and Derbyshire used to be in Meersbrook Park before it was moved to current location?.Also book has lot of facts about quite a large area, lBeauchief,Totly,Meersbrook,Norton Lees,Heeley.One of the ancient kings, an athelstan or ethelred, was crowned at Totley.

• 1 year later...

I was born on Shelf St and lived there until I was about 11, my dad actually delivered me in their bedroom while he was waiting for the midwife. We had an Armstong-Sidney car that we went all over in great car till the vandals got it. The house we lived in was 3 story but no bathrooms, the toilet was outside across the yard, it was fun in winter.......lol.

I was born on Shelf St and lived there until I was about 11, my dad actually delivered me in their bedroom while he was waiting for the midwife. We had an Armstong-Sidney car that we went all over in great car till the vandals got it. The house we lived in was 3 story but no bathrooms, the toilet was outside across the yard, it was fun in winter.......lol.

Eh .. vandals/car,

was it got at in the Shelf Street area, what year please ?

Archived