Can i get a bit of history on any good buildings in Sheffield maybe with hauntings.

Hi roughy,

You might try the Montgomery Hall on Surrey St, that theatre is definitely haunted. Include the back stage and dressing rooms, so you might like to try for permission to take a tour.

Boots chemist on the bottom of Fargate used to be connected via tunnels to various buildings on the High Street years ago before the subway that was once there and then the tram was built... their cellers are said to still have a visitor now and again.

The Carbrook Hall across from Toys R Us at Carbrook is also 'definitely' haunted as I used to play in there with my childhood friend. I also had another encounter with its resident spirit a couple of years back also...

They have a website that you could log onto to read about the pub, but it is much better to visit; in fact, get there at 12-noon and have lunch. The landlord Phil used to have an Hallowe'en event that you might want to ask about... to see if it still takes place.

There is a local book available that lists many of Sheffield ghosts with an description and historical background; I can't remember the author, but I've got a copy somewhere. I'll try and find it to let you know, unless someone else can help.

Hope this helps your research. Please let us know how you get on.

Damkina

Try for permission to tour the Clocktower at the Northern General Hospital. This has a reputation of sightings from it's days as a workhouse. The Ship Inn on Shalesmoore is reputed to have a very haunted cellar. My mate Cyril had it for many years and his wifes jewellery often disappeared, only to resurface weeks later, somewhere entirely different to where it was left.

Archived