The morning after the night before - still over the limit?

I wish you could get little breathaliser kits with your booze so you could test yourself to make sure you are safe. I never drink and drive but am concerned about being over the limit the next day.

You can - ask at your local police station?

There are no sure and safe rules and everyone is different, but the overall point is worth making that it is very easy to be over the limit the morning after.

I'm sure lots of people on here have drunk 10+ pints and a fair few doubles in one night, at some point(s) in their life. But how many waited for an entire day before driving?

A few weeks ago my neighbour knocked over a little boy on our quiet estate as his Mum shouted him across the road to her. It was 8.30 in the morning and she had only just pulled off the estate so luckily the little boy only suffered a bad graze to his head and after a trip to casualty was back out playing later that day.

Anyway, my neighbour who was in a right state came to my house after the accident and I gave her a cup of tea to calm her down but my first instinct was to give her something stronger but it was 8.30 in the morning and as it happens it was a good job I didn't cos when the police came they gave her a routine breathaliser.

My question is I am sat here knecking a Vodka as I sometimes do and no doubt will have a few more. My neighbour said it was lucky she hadn't had a drink the previous night to the accident as she could have been over the limit and although the accident was in no way her fault - it would have been seen a lot differently.

This has made me think how long after you have had a few drinks is it OK to drive the next morning.

I wish you could get little breathaliser kits with your booze so you could test yourself to make sure you are safe. I never drink and drive but am concerned about being over the limit the next day.

My m8 lost everything for drinking and driving, he went to naughty boy school and was educated on how and what booze does.

This course should be included to all new drivers me thinks:thumbsup:

the dehydration thing only applies to drinks above about 3%, below that then your taking in as much water as you're eliminating.

If you're drinking enough to be still over the limit, then you'll be hungover enough not to want to drive.

no, I disagree... you can "feel" perfectly fine, cyclone, but your perception of how fit you feel, with regard to driving, and how fit you actually are to drive have no correlation.

That's how my cousin lost his licence. He'd had a few jars, the night before, and went to take his car out, to go literally, just round the corner, to the shop, and was "copped" by the police. He was breathylised, and, at 10 am, he was found to have an alcohol level over the legal limit, went to court, and lost his licence.

I would agree with redhawk, about the only legal level being a Zero level.

In places like Sweden and Norway,(IIRC) their laws permit only a very, very low blood-alcohol level to be legal to drive, something like half the levels we permit in the UK.

that might be a start.

PT

my uncle is a big weekend drinker and he once got up on a sunday morning after going out all night drinking friday and saturday the police stopped him and he was three times over the limit still :o

he got a ban!

my sister cant really handle her alcohol so it really takes its toll on her the next day so she refuses to drive for two days after :o mainly cos she feels she cant really concentrate properly

im learning to drive at the moment and i have to say i dont think i would drink the next day at all as i know im terrible the next day

You used to be able to get those self testing kit breath test things in petrol stations, not sure how reliable they are though or even if they still sell them. I always thought it was a good idea IF they give a reliable result.

You used to be able to get those self testing kit breath test things in petrol stations, not sure how reliable they are though or even if they still sell them. I always thought it was a good idea IF they give a reliable result.

They are an absolutely terrible idea! In my opinion they encourage people to drink and drive because it means they can 'know' if they are near the limit before driving. For a start, they aren't accurate on the night because you will absorb more alcohol into your system and your blood alcohol level will get higher after you've done the test.

They may be a good idea for the 'morning after' but that isn't when many people would use them.

The only safe thing to do is to NOT do it.

no, I disagree... you can "feel" perfectly fine, cyclone, but your perception of how fit you feel, with regard to driving, and how fit you actually are to drive have no correlation.

That's how my cousin lost his licence. He'd had a few jars, the night before, and went to take his car out, to go literally, just round the corner, to the shop, and was "copped" by the police. He was breathylised, and, at 10 am, he was found to have an alcohol level over the legal limit, went to court, and lost his licence.

I would agree with redhawk, about the only legal level being a Zero level.

In places like Sweden and Norway,(IIRC) their laws permit only a very, very low blood-alcohol level to be legal to drive, something like half the levels we permit in the UK.

that might be a start.

PT

It is impossible to have zero level of alcohol, even in a non drinker.

The body creates alcohol as part of natural breakdown of food.

Too much emphasis is put on drink driving. There are far more people on todays roads that are more dangerous sober than a lot of people are when they have had a couple of pints.

The penalty for driving like a complete wally should be at least as high as that for drink driving.

But then again that would be less easy to prove, so they wouldnt get the book full as fast would they.

The sanctimonious drivel the coppers spout about death tolls etc. makes me laugh.

How many would resign their cushy jobs, (houses paid for, full pension etc, all on the ratepayer of course) if the drink drive laws were scrapped tommorrow.

Answer - Non.

BTW, I am not a disgruntled motorist. If I am going out to drink I use the bus or taxi. I have never been stopped by the law in 25 years driving.

But I know a lot of coppers and how they think.

Archived