Need Help in Finding Lost Family History

Falls

Hello,

I'm trying to find out the history of a family called Knutton. The only details I have is that they had a farm where the Parson Cross estate is now. Knutton Road and Knutton Crescent - between Yew Lane and Wordsworth Avenue - may be the approximate location of the farm. I know they were farming there between 1900 and 1910 but no other details.

Any suggestions as to how I might find the info.? I have tried some public records without sucess: however, I may be looking in the wrong place. Its rather a unique name - probably of nordic origin - so it's a mystery as to why details are so difficult to find.

Regards

Hi Falls

Found a Elizabeth knutton on 1901 Census.She was widowed listed as a farmer living at Fox Hill Farm.Is this the family?

Audrey

Hi Audrey,

Yes it could be. I know that the husband died but was not sure about the date. Now it looks like he passed away before 1900. That would explain why I could not find anything in my search of the census.

As to the name of the farm, I had heard of it refered to as Fox Hill but as you know, the land that became the Fox Hill estate is not really Parson Cross, although they are relatively close. Perhaps the farm streched all the way from Fox Hill to Parson Cross. If so, it may have been a large farm for the times.

I need to get hold of an old map of the area, before both estates were built.

Thanks for your help

Regards

White's 1911 directory (at http://www.historicaldirectories.org) also has Mrs Elizh Knutton farmer Fox Hill, listed under Birley Carr

Is Elizabeth the widow of Samuel who was a farm bailiff at 'Mount Pleasant' Wortley RD in 1891? If so this looks a likely death entry for him:

GRO Deaths Jun Qtr 1899

Knutton Samuel 38 Wortley 9c 163

...and this burial at Christ Church Fulwood must be this Samuel:

KNUTTON Samuel 8 Jun 1899 Wadsley,Fox Hill Farm 38

and also at Fulwood there's this burial:

KNUTTON Mary Elizabeth 31 Oct 1898 Wadsley,Fox Hill Farm 5

Hugh

• 4 years later...

Hello, Could this be trevor by any chance in Canada? I am the granddaughter of peter and connie knutton and have recently looking into the family history. I understand you still are intouch with my grandma Connie at Christmas times. Peters father was John William and John Williams mother and father were George and Hannah Knutton who owned the farm in the 1880's. Would be interested in any information you have on who Georges mother and father infact were. Thank you very much. Emma Johnson x

I found that George and Hannah infact had 5 children at the time on the farm, In order, John William (Born 1891), Sarah (Born 1890) who I understand is your grandmother? Arthur (Born 1895), Annie (born 1897) and Lottie? (Born 1899) x Hope this helps?

Archived