Pyebank School, Pitsmoor

elaine

That's one hell of a pseudonym you've got there cookingfat. I'm not a contempory of yours, quite a bit older I should imagine, but I remember a family, name of Drabble. They lived top end of Rock Street, near Hancocks shop. I went to Pyebank same time as one of the lads called Dougie.

And the Owens, there was a family name of Owen lived top of Hayward Road, but maybe not the same one of your memory.

H Texas pretty sure the Drabbles and Owens are one of the same family I know the Drabbles and Owens moved to Gleadless Valley at the same time as us (I'm 55yrs old born in 51)in fact they were nieghbours of ours for years I still see one of the Drabbles aroud the valley and his name is earneat and i think one was called Phil

That's one hell of a pseudonym you've got there cookingfat. I'm not a contempory of yours, quite a bit older I should imagine, but I remember a family, name of Drabble. They lived top end of Rock Street, near Hancocks shop. I went to Pyebank same time as one of the lads called Dougie.

And the Owens, there was a family name of Owen lived top of Hayward Road, but maybe not the same one of your memory.

the name cookingfat comes from my gorgeous cat called by that name but we call her cookie :)

vicky udall name rings a bell does anyone remember kath and charlie belk who in the fifties lived i think on the same road as vicky and had a son called steven and a daughter called susan

Hi I am Steve Belk we lived there in the 50s me and my sister Susan we left there in 59 moved to Gleadless Valley where we gained towo brothers Michael and David our mum Kath is still alive and lives in Gleadless valley unfortunatly dad died 6 years ago i would love to contact vicky again after all thes years i now live in Chesterfield changed a bit sinse those days lost most of my hair like dad put on lots of wieght not like my silph like figure of old but then who does look the same as well as vicky udall i can remember a girl called elaine davenport lived next to chippy on pye bank rd is she still around

Hi Steven, well this is really a blast from the past after all these years.

I wasnt sure that you or Susan would remember me, its all so long ago.

I left Sheffield 1985 and deserted to the South. Live in Hertfordshire now with my family ,a daughter and 2 grandchildren.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Both my parents died many years ago.

Still visit Sheff to see relatives and am always surprised at how it is changing. Anyhow give my regards to your Mum. Bye the way I didnt pass the 11+, not one of the brightest at school, late developer, thats my excuse.

Hi again Vicky sorry to hear about your parents glad your doing well dispite not passing your 11+ but neither did I but have done ok. doing a bit of the good life at the moment keep a few chickens free range organic and have a small allotment hope you keep in touch through this site and i could send you my e-mail address bye bye Steve x

Can any of you help me out? I've arrived here because I'm looking for info re The Cromwell View. You often mention the pub but thereare never any details. My wife's grandfather grew up in that pub. That is all we know and we'd like to add to it.

Penge97

Hiya Penge

Try this:-

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l304/Telegonus/Cromwell0001.jpg

A big thank you to Capricorn II that photo is just what I'm looking for. You Pyebank persons are coming good for me, and I only ended up in this place because I don't know what I'm doing. I think I will start my own thread because that will surely bring me lots of Brightside stuff. Thanks again.

oooh brightside!

My aunt and uncle lived on fleet street. I have a brilliant photograph of me and my sister (I was about 3, she was about 1) playing on the step of my aunt's terrace on fleet street.

Hi Plain Talker you've got me foxed already. I realise that I didn't tell you- I'm not from Sheffield. That is why I am finding this site so entertaining; it is like arriving in another country where you know all the words but non of the references. Fleet Street, where is Fleet Street? My modern map of Sheffield, bought at Woodall Services on the 28th Dec, doesn't show a Fleet Street. Is there a way that users can share photos on this site?

Hi

My Dad is Charles Hallewell 70 next week you are right on all of the above-he married Rita Taylor had three daughters and now lives in Chapeltown.His older brother was Grenville,sadly past away 9yrs ago.You seem to know him well,can I help.

:D:P

Regards

WAGSLASS

Hi,

Sorry about the delay in responding. My wife and I left home on Sept. 13 ( just before your message arrived) for a trip and we didn't get back until Jan 6.

Yes, I remember your dad. He worked at W & T Avery when he left school but don't know if he stayed with them. In addition to being at Burngreave day school your Dad, another lad called Malcom Taylor (no relation)and I, all signed up for Burngreave night school together. That would be Sept. 1951. Does your Dad remember this? The last time I saw your Dad, (and Mum) was on a Gleadless bus sometime around the summer of 1960.

I only knew your mum slightly but your mum's sister, Ann (?), was in my class at Pye Bank. I think your mother's parents ran a shop at the corner of Montfort Street and Thistle Street. All before the redevelopment.

I was 70 on Jan 7. If you want to hear more recollections, please send me a PM

Regards