Pyebank School, Pitsmoor

elaine

Hi Plain Talker you've got me foxed already. I realise that I didn't tell you- I'm not from Sheffield. That is why I am finding this site so entertaining; it is like arriving in another country where you know all the words but non of the references. Fleet Street, where is Fleet Street? My modern map of Sheffield, bought at Woodall Services on the 28th Dec, doesn't show a Fleet Street. Is there a way that users can share photos on this site?

Fleet Street no longer exists...

you see the map, here? (click on the linky)

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=437000&Y=389500&width=700&height=400&gride=434873&gridn=387064&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=pc&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=true&zm=0&scale=5000&right.x=1&right.y=144

where Newhall Road meets Brightside Lane, to the right of it, there's Sanderson St. as you progress toward Hawke St.

Fleet Street was in that vicinity, it was demolished in the early 1970's, (definitely pre 1972/3, as my aunt and uncle were moved to arbourthorne, to clear the area, and the move was before my cousin was born in 73)

What was Fleet Street is now an industrial estate. it's not far from the PDSA petaid "hospital" which is approx on the lower, left hand junction of newhall road with brightside lane.

sorry it's a bit of a convoluted explanation, trying to describe where that street was.

a P.S

just found these pictures on picturesheffield of the Fleet street area.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s01026

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s12953

the second picture is taken from the junctions of alfred road with stamford St, looking toward fleet st, so I suspect that FS is the small cul de sac with no name a little way along the street.

HTH

I never knew it as the "red wreck" just the wreck.

It was near the high rise flats at the top of Andover St, next to the first Pye Bank school.

I remember watching may day celebrations on their as well as being evacuated during fire drills in Pye bank school (back then we always used to say it was a bomb scare to make it more exciting).

I never knew it as the "red wreck" just the wreck.

It was near the high rise flats at the top of Andover St, next to the first Pye Bank school.

I remember watching may day celebrations on their as well as being evacuated during fire drills in Pye bank school (back then we always used to say it was a bomb scare to make it more exciting).

Hi,

When I went to Pye Bank School, we used to have "Gas Mask" and "Air Raid Shelter" practices. We did have to go in the shelters a couple of times when they thought we were under attack from V1's but nothing happened.

Those shelter were so disgusting, you needed to have your gas mask just to avoid throwing up. I think the Dept. of Ed. stopped the practices as soon as they heard the war was over - about 1948!!

Regards

Ok mate, sorry about that. I use to play in the one on sutherland road as a kid.

No problem mate, I forgot that was called wembley as well. and I didn't know the wreck at the back of Pye Bank school was refered to as the "Red Wreck" In my day it was just "the wreck"