Pyebank School, Pitsmoor

elaine

I never knew it as the "red wreck" just the wreck.

It was near the high rise flats at the top of Andover St, next to the first Pye Bank school.

I remember watching may day celebrations on their as well as being evacuated during fire drills in Pye bank school (back then we always used to say it was a bomb scare to make it more exciting).

the rec you are referring to is what we knew as Nottingham Street / Gray St rec, if it was the one beside Pye Bank School.

• 1 month later...
Used to go on the Rec every day during nice weather, there was a Hut / shed there that was just the right size for a goal.

Just got on to this thread. Visited me dad last week and I had a look at the old rec. It's still there, and I can remember when it had a park-keeper to look after it. What did he do all day? (I'll tell you - when me and Pete Guest climbed over the wall from Pye Bank school the parkie caught us and took us to see Cookie. Must have been 1964 or 5.)

'Little' Wembley near Marcus Street was nearer to where I lived opposite the stores (co-op) on Nottingham Street - along Montfort Stree past Marshalls and down that steep pathway to Marcus Street. It was great for getting on to the railway line - you could climb a low wall and walk along as far as fiery Jack tunnel and those concrete water holders full of pond-skaters. The other good thing about Little Wembley was the flying plank. No guard rails, no safety notices, just half a ton of wood with kids hanging on to it. My mother told me she broke her arm when it bashed into her when she was little, but she probably just wanted me to keep away from it. That place had a parkie as well.

I went to Pye Bank School from about 67-71 (ish) Names I recall are Carla Somerset, she was born a day after me, Wendy Butterfield, David Darling, who if I remember correctly changed his surname. Of course there was my cousins the Jows, and the next door neighbours the Cryans on Pye Bank Road. My Grandparents lived on the high rise next to the School and either my, or my brothers or sisters Godmother was the woman who ran the hairdressers on the shops.

Some good memorys of my time there, but we moved to Netherthorpe and a whole new era started :)

*Smiles*

Angi (Angela Bland) :o)

I went to Pye Bank School from about 67-71 (ish) Names I recall are Carla Somerset, she was born a day after me, Wendy Butterfield, David Darling, who if I remember correctly changed his surname. Of course there was my cousins the Jows, and the next door neighbours the Cryans on Pye Bank Road. My Grandparents lived on the high rise next to the School and either my, or my brothers or sisters Godmother was the woman who ran the hairdressers on the shops.

Some good memorys of my time there, but we moved to Netherthorpe and a whole new era started :)

*Smiles*

Angi (Angela Bland) :o)

I'm still intouch with the Summersets..Deby,Nigel,and of course Carla..Mum lynn,there dad passed away a few years back now..The woman who ran the hairdresser's was her surname Flanagan..if so..i'm still in touch with them also.

Carla Summerset married John Etches,and has a couple of kids and live up just past Swallownest,round the corner from her mum actually...I know your cousin as well i think..was his name Kevin Jows.?

jt

In my younger days i was very good friends with Chris and Deby Axe,they lived on 3 Grey Street,the old upside down houses,right at the side of the steps to Bottomley's.

They moved to Gleadless in the late 60's i think...i bumbed in Deby years later in Sheafvalley Baths..but never got her address..(way before mobiles came out..lol)..

Last i heard, and again its going back along time, was that her dad had lost a leg.!

Would be nice to hear from them...or some one who Know's then......

jt

I'm still intouch with the Summersets..Deby,Nigel,and of course Carla..Mum lynn,there dad passed away a few years back now..The woman who ran the hairdresser's was her surname Flanagan..if so..i'm still in touch with them also.

Carla Summerset married John Etches,and has a couple of kids and live up just past Swallownest,round the corner from her mum actually...I know your cousin as well i think..was his name Kevin Jows.?

jt

Yep

My cousins are Kevin and Philip.

*Smiles*

Angi

jt

OOps

Forgot to say I'm not to sure on the surname of the hairdressers, although for some reason I have Gloria in my head, though that could be for another reason LOL

*Smiles*

Angi

Forgot to add....i remember the Butterworths..and i know all the Cryans...

Do you know Lisa Gale....The iceslips, And the Hallams from the upside down houses that where at the bottom of Pye Bank Rd

jt

Can't say Lisa Gale rings a bell, or the other names to be honest, although I remember the upside down houses. Our block was next to the bridge and I remember many a happy day spent swinging upside down on the railings leading to the bridge, or waving at cars that went under. I was young LOL

As for the Cryans, as I said they were next door neighbours (literally), we lost touch when we moved, then I got back in touch again in my mid/late teens, then Dean came and did a repair on my flat some months ago. Unfortunately he had the upper hand, he wouldn't tell me who he was LOL ....... sheesh, took me about half an hour to weedle it out ......... then spent a lotta time reminising .........

I even remember going to the school kitchens at Pye Bank and we all had a turn at stirring the Christmas pud to make a wish, there was even money in it!! Only time I ever ate Christmas pudding, OR had 2nds <ugghhhh>

*Smiles*

Angi