Pyebank School, Pitsmoor

elaine

I persume you mean the school Arthur.

It was built in 1875 and would have seen many changes to the area.

I hope they never will knock down this building, surely it must now be listed .

I'm not sure what they could actually use this building for today, it needs extensive work and maintainance as it has been deralict for some years now, so maybe they will demolish it in time.

Hope not though, its a landmark.

Hi Paul you hit the nail on the head about demolishing it in time, thats what has happened to many fine buildings in the past they will wait for an excuse. Cheers Arthur.

I spoke to someone yesterday who also remembered a lad named Littlewood but he convinced me I was wrong with the Christian name. He believes it was Harry. The description was correct though and the fact that he had a sister called Margaret. And they lived on Spital St.

• 3 weeks later...
Just got on to this thread. Visited me dad last week and I had a look at the old rec. It's still there, and I can remember when it had a park-keeper to look after it. What did he do all day? (I'll tell you - when me and Pete Guest climbed over the wall from Pye Bank school the parkie caught us and took us to see Cookie. Must have been 1964 or 5.)

'Little' Wembley near Marcus Street was nearer to where I lived opposite the stores (co-op) on Nottingham Street - along Montfort Stree past Marshalls and down that steep pathway to Marcus Street. It was great for getting on to the railway line - you could climb a low wall and walk along as far as fiery Jack tunnel and those concrete water holders full of pond-skaters. The other good thing about Little Wembley was the flying plank. No guard rails, no safety notices, just half a ton of wood with kids hanging on to it. My mother told me she broke her arm when it bashed into her when she was little, but she probably just wanted me to keep away from it. That place had a parkie as well.

Jim I've just seen this - did you have 4 sisters, was your dad Taffy ?

Iwas at pye bank from 55 to 62 a few names that come to mind are BRIAN AGUS(agi),BARRY SMITH(whiffer),CARL WILKINSON(winks), PAUL SHORT, ARNOLD DONSTON, AND KEITH SCHOFIELD.Mr COOKE was the head master at the time,and the teacher that stood out for me was Mr JENKINSON and his inch thick cane, I had that on a few occasions, but he was a nice bloke get him talking about WW2 and that was it for the rest of the lesson. I didnt move out of pitsmoor till i was ninteen, having married a local girl. I was born on oborne st bang opposite the old wembly,then moved to the top of the road on to marcus st, then over to brunswick rd,and lastly grey st.across from the school. Does anyone remember these names,KEITH,LYNE and SUE KIRK,TERRYand DOREEN SCOTT,DEREKand MICK BROWN, ALAN CRUMP,RICHARD and MARK JONES,STEVEN SCERONE(BONEO),KEN and KEITH THORPE,DAVE and PATRICK LENNON,(babs),DAVE SIDEBOTTOM, SANDRA KENNY.

I went to pye bank in the 80's.

I have had a good read of this thread and dont recognize any of the names of people who posters are mentioning but i do remember some of the teachers. Miss chalmers, everyone thought she was tough but she helped me pass my 10 metres swimming! i also remember a Mrs Goddard but cant picture her, also Mrs ridgeon ,Mrs Pass. Mrs Harwood who was very popular and Mrs Salvin.

From PB Trinity i remeber the headteacher Mr Lingard, Mr Atkinson,Mr Womersley, Miss Tingley and Mr Anderson.