Irate at Orwell

Texas

Just been reading a passage in Orwell's 'Road to Wigan Pier', the cheeky b*****d calls Sheffield the 'ugliest place in England'. This was in 1936, and although I was only 3 years old then, and not old enough for it to register I feel a bit miffed about his opinion. Mucky, yes, ugly, no.

Just been reading a passage in Orwell's 'Road to Wigan Pier', the cheeky b*****d calls Sheffield the 'ugliest place in England'. This was in 1936, and although I was only 3 years old then, and not old enough for it to register I feel a bit miffed about his opinion. Mucky, yes, ugly, no.

Not impressed by Orwell, just another one who accepts the hospitality however meagre , then insults the host.

I love George Orwell. :)

As I wasn't around Sheffield in the 1930s I can't comment on his description of Sheffield.

I love Sheffield but I'd acknowldge that even today it's not exactly a beautiful city. :)

A quick tour of http://www.picturesheffield.com will confirm that Orwell was more than likely correct - some of the derelict looking places that were in fact inhabited by people are quite shameful.

Try the keyword 'park' or 'market' to see 'ugly' at it's height ;)

The places where people lived were quite shameful, but don't forget the people who lived in them built Sheffield.

Exploitation by the middle and upper classes,is the ugliness.

• 5 years later...

Hello,

Hope you are well.

I just came across this while doing some research. I think you might be interested in my posts on the subject in my blog 'Beyond 1984' at http://www.rivedon.co.uk/.

Best regards,

Ian Rivedon

Archived