Any ex Firth Park School lads n lassies out there?

iwent to birth mark school from 88-91, and shudder to this day, i hated the place.

messrs longley and lockwood (viv) were teaching gods.

action man hartley was a scary little man, shades of bronson(grange hill) but the green suits were a bit odd.

miss parker, scary woman

mr lynn , nice bloke

mr cheatle, cracking bloke but a bit soft.

jesus jones, always expected him ripping the blackboard down to attack pupils

wacko jacko, hated him, but he hated everybody so quite mutual

mr linacre, decent bloke, sold him some screws after he set his own business up, he had a train set in his woodwork room- which some pupils got to use after school.

mr hallworth, p.e. always got on well with the older female pupils.who also set his own business up and bought fixings from me.

steer and sherwood , good p.e teachers.

penfold, thrush

iwent to birth mark school from 88-91, and shudder to this day, i hated the place.

messrs longley and lockwood (viv) were teaching gods.

action man hartley was a scary little man, shades of bronson(grange hill) but the green suits were a bit odd.

miss parker, scary woman

mr lynn , nice bloke

mr cheatle, cracking bloke but a bit soft.

jesus jones, always expected him ripping the blackboard down to attack pupils

wacko jacko, hated him, but he hated everybody so quite mutual

mr linacre, decent bloke, sold him some screws after he set his own business up, he had a train set in his woodwork room- which some pupils got to use after school.

mr hallworth, p.e. always got on well with the older female pupils.who also set his own business up and bought fixings from me.

steer and sherwood , good p.e teachers.

penfold, thrush

Is John sherwood still their? He was their when i left in `78

Is John sherwood still their? He was their when i left in `78

Most people will ahve seen recent news coverage that John Sherwood is retiring from his teaching post at Firth park school after 95 years or was it 32 years this september.

Previous posts on this thread asked about the remotely mad science teacher who taught physics in the tower classrtooms, he was Mr "pod" Harrison.

Mr Renshaw was also physics during my time at firth park 1974-1979 he taught at north buiding and took no crap from no body. a form tutor of mine for one year, you didnt cross him twice.

Other names that crop up inconversation, Mr adams, Mr Litheland art, Miss allcock science, Mrs Walker english mrs richardson english, mr Peet maths Mr longley european studies, mr (now Dr) Tyldsley History mr Jones french mr walker metal work mr sedelmier woodwork ? head was Dr Hartley, duputy was mr Jennings Mr Pilley geography, Mr Jackson Music, Mrs higginbottom, english/drama others slip in and out of ones mind from time to time,

My daughter is now at the school and asks me who taught us for IT. ??? Or Pshe, or dance ? I tell her about the only computers they had then were for premium bonds we never saw one.

Best memory though has to be the book exchange on the top corridor at north building and Mr Pilleys Tuck shop at the end of the middle corridor, Milk CHews lasted all morning, Dundee biscuits that were as big as a bin lids, refresher chew bars, and all them flaming woden lockers.

My 'best mate' of my teenage years - Dave Hurst (Hirst?)....

He would've left 66/67...

Can't remember why he went to Firth Park, 'cos his family lived in Todwick....

Wonder where he got to, all these years later?

Seem to recall that his nickname at school was 'Rusty'...

Anyone remember Mr Weeta?, huge booming man, used to call the boys insects, the was a supply teacher, used to ride a motorbike...guess what, hes still teaching!!!!!!, My daughter came home from school laughing about a teacher she had had as her history teacher was off, he hasnt changes a bit by the sound of it, they love him!!Hes 70!, he retired, them came back cos he missed the kids.

MR WEETA! :hihi: he was soo funny. Like the hulk hogan of teaching. He was always great with the girls and hilariously mean to the boys. :P

• 2 weeks later...

The stories about a ghost in the old Firth Park Grammar School building known as the Brushes are a myth. They stem from the times when its longest serving and much respected schoolmaster Spike Johnson used to tell ghost stories.

I was lucky enough to be taught History by Spike in my first year at Firth Park

in 1961, and at the end of each term it was a special treat to be told one of Spike's ghost stories.

The particular one I remember him telling ended something like this:-

" ............It was dark by the time I left school, I was the last one out of the building, and as I walked along Barnsley Road I realised I had forgotten my briefcase and decided to go back. In those days the staff room was on the top floor of the old house, and as I climbed the stairs the place had an erie feeling about it. At the top of the stairs, I switched on the light but the bulb must have blown. It was pitch black. I felt my way along the corridor and just as I was entering the staff room, I felt a hand touch my leg. I froze with fright. Then it pulled my leg again, and then again............just like I've been pulling yours."

I was one of 35 schoolboys breathing a great sigh of relief. What a brilliant storyteller !

I too remember the stories told by "Spike".

I have fond memories of a great man.

I always remember that story ending as Spike was struggling to climb out of a window when something grabbed at his leg...and pulled it. Just like I'm pulling yours.....Sighs all round.

That was in my first year in 1962.

• 2 months later...

Hi Garry......yes, many memories.

There been a few threads about the old school.

I've often wondered what happened to "so and so"...

Strange how you leave a place and never see folks again..........39 years since I left.