Hillsborough Baths

Alanbro

I remember going to Hillsborough baths from Firth Park School. We made our own way there first thing in the morning, and if we were early we'd spend the time skimming stones in the river behind the pub at the bottom of Walkley Lane. I remember Mr Sivia, I always rank him along with Mr Scott at Sutherland Road baths, both scared me to death! When we went in we could order Horlicks or hot Bovril for afterwards, and we made a beeline for the broken biscuits . I remember always being ravenous after swimming!

The life guard called Chris used to threaten us with that pole he carried about. I remember seeing him on TV quite a few years ago, he was on GMTV they were doing a search for the best Elvis impersonator.

What about those changing rooms! just a pull across curtain to change behind and when you were in the middle of getting ready someone would open the curtain to see if anyone was in the cubicle:blush:

• 1 month later...

just discovered this site, i remember mr.sivia and i believe his daughter lives up wadsley. i used to have slipper baths and got in free to the swimming baths cos my dad didnt work,they used to give us a book of tickets to use. after swimming it was a bag of broken biscuits on the way home.

we lived in hillsborough and i left sheffs 40 years ago but the memories linger.

there was no brass not much to eat but fantastic times and fun in hillsborough park playing football with about 20 on each side

and an old chap who had a shop on dixon road used to join in.

• 1 month later...

I'm another one who also learnt how to swim at Hillsborough baths in the 80's, but I carried on going a couple of times a week until it closed down.

John the blonde instructor taught me for most of my lessons. I think I started my lessons when I was about 5 or 6. I remember him telling me that the armbands didn't really hold me up, so I took them off and swam a width. I still have the badge and certificate to prove it. John tried the same trick on my friend but she didn't believe him. She had 2 more weeks of lessons wearing deflated armbands before she swam a width without them.

Chris was the teddy boy instructor. When it closed he moved to the new Hillsborough baths for a while. He did go on to become an Elvis impersonator, my Mum saved me the newspaper article about him.

There was an older instructor too, I can't remember his name, and the lady who took your money and sold the sweets (I always had a Highland Toffee) was called Rita.

It is a shame it was shut down, it was a nice old fashioned baths. However I'm not too upset because it is a friend of mine who bought the building and turned it into The Deep End. I've never been in, but apparently it's a half decent live music venue.

Originally posted by arrodbo

there was no brass not much to eat but fantastic times and fun in hillsborough park playing football with about 20 on each side

and an old chap who had a shop on dixon road used to join in.

I used to play football in Hillsborough park too. I think the old chap's name was Mr Hawksworth. He used to come and join in when he finished work (although he had the shop, I think he was a joiner) and played in his brown bib and brace overalls.

The poin you make about Mr.Hawksworth is dead right,He lived on Dixon Rd. and always joined in,he was a great old man who could play footie too!!. His son goes in the Wadsley Club every night playin snooker

• 2 weeks later...

I Also Learnt How To Swim At Hillsborough Baths,And Do Remember Mr.Lindley & "Action Man".

My Grandad Used To Take Us On Monday Nights-When Post Office Workers Had A Private Session (I Think).I Got My 10 & 25 Yards Certificates From Them.

Later,When We Started At Rivelin School They Did A Bronze,Silver & Gold Awards Scheme.You Had To Do Certain Things To Get It.Some Of Which Were Swimming In Your Pyjama's,Treading Water For So Long And Swimming Underwater To Touch A Brick!

When You Passed Them You'd Get A Certificate,Pin Badge & A Cloth Batch To Sew On Yer Trunks.

Anyone Know If They Still Do That?

Archived