Hillsborough Baths

Alanbro

I learned to swim at Hillsborough baths when I was a pupil at Hillsborough School. Mr Lindley was the swimming instructor and I have probably never hated anyone as much as him in my whole life!!!

When I was fairly young, I fell down a slope on Rivelin Nature trail and fell into a deep part of the river. I very nearly drowned and had to be dragged out by my feet by a man who was lowered down to grab me. As a consequence, I was terrified of going under the water.

I was too scared to jump in the pool, so Mr Linley, in his infinate wisdom, pushed me in! It was one of the most horrific experiences I can ever remember. He would also push your head under the water.

I hated that man so much!!

I eventually learned to swim but with no help from him and spent many a summer holiday in there. 25p and some money for a hot chocolate and a packet of salt and vinegar twists from the vending machine afterwards.

Can anyone remember the life guard who worked there for what seemed like forever? He was some kind of teddy boy with a black quiff, tight white t-shirt and skin tight black drainpipe trousers!

Ahhhh those were the days!!

yes e was called chris kenny e still the same 2 day i c him alot ust 2 think e was elvis

Archived