Question about uprooting...

Hi,

I have a question for all you ex-pats!

I've been offered the opportunity to transfer to our US office in Arizona. I'm currently weighing up the pro's and con's (both emotional and financial) of making the move and was wondering what I would expect to pay to transfer a 3 bed semi full of belongings to the USA.

Surely some of you have done this - so how much is it likely to cost us?

Thanks in advance...

If you are unsure about the move, have you considered renting out your house?

If you do I strongly recommend you have the place managed and rented out through an agency.

The beauty of this is that if you change your mind you can always return.

Living in the States is not everyone's cup of tea as I have experienced.

All the best

Happy Days!

PopT

Look into hiring a container for your stuff - probably cost a few grand.

Have you been to Arizona? The thing about the states is that it's such a vast and varying place. I've happily lived here for years, but had I landed a job in a different part of the country I may not have stayed.

Another thing to think about is comming back, bear this cost and upheaval in mind along with the cost and hassle of going out there. Another thing to consider is that you may not come back. I know plenty of people that have moved here initially thinking it'll be a couple of years that have ended up staying.

Do you really need to transfer all your belongings? E.g electrical stuff might not be compatible with the system there. Sometimes it is cheaper to sell some of your stuff and buy when you get there, unless you are into antiques say.

I found this when we moved to Oz BUT I do regret a couple of things I wish I'd brought although I replaced them eventually. Maybe you should look on the move as an adventure! Live dangerously- Good luck!

PS Can't help you with the cost, which is what you asked for, just look in the yellow pages and ring around.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I was beginning to think You were all ignoring me! :)

To answer some of the questions:

PopT - Yes, we have considered renting out the house, I'm just covering all the bases :)

seriessix - Yes, I have been to Arizona. I spent 6 months working there a few years ago and fell in love with the place

nanrobbo - You're right, much of the stuff will be incompatible with the US, I've taken this into consideration :)

I'm grateful to you all - any one else with any other hints, warnings or suggestions please feel free to share!!

Electronic goods, such as vcr's dvd's tv's etc., and electric appliances are not worth taking. The voltage, and the system is totally different, and prices here are much cheaper anyway. Furniture is of better quality in the U.K., but is it worth the expense. Store the things you are unsure about, and give it a try. Houses generally are cheaper in the U.S. and Canada, with a lot more bang for your buck. We came over in 1967, and although miss many things couldn't go back to live in the U.K. Make a point of visiting every two years or so, and love it.

Archived