Open university vs regular university?

Does anybody know how Open University degrees are viewed by employers and whether they're worth the same as a regular degree?

Any help would be great, thanks

x

From my own experience of recruiting and interviewing, I would generally regard them as being better than degrees from other universities. Personally I am not bothered whether someone has a degree or not, but I am bothered about them demonstrating all kinds of other attributes that sticking with a course for 3 years can demonstrate. Doing an OU degree usually is a better indication of these other attributes. If a job requires very specific technical knowledge then you are usually more concerned with the specific modules and projects undertaken rather than the institution. For some jobs, however, the institution and the class of degree matter a great deal but I always wonder who wants to do a job where that is the case.

as i used to work and recruit in the university sector I would value OU degrees as this showed both academic credibility and a commitment to study/go a little bit further.

There are some degrees and universities that were valued less highly but think this view is more rife in the hE/blue chip sector

In the public and voluntary sectors they would be seen as equal - certainly for purposes of shortlisting - although from experience the panel may well favour the additional personal skills / experience an OU graduate is likely to bring to the organisation.

Horses for courses really - don't expect to be a city high flyer with an OU degree, but do expect to be treated as an equal in most other sectors.

I think another valid point when comparing "normal" universities and the OU is that you have to think about which University you are comparing the OU with. In recent years we have had all kinds of colleges become parts of Universities some of which are laughable. There always was a general pecking order of universites although there would be individual subjects where "poor" colleges where better than "top" universities. There are now colleges that used to teach butchery and hairdressing also teaching degrees and it is fair to say that most people would regard the OU as being much better. On the other hand a great number of employers would regard Cambridge and Oxford degrees as being better than the OU. My own opinion is that, in terms of quality, the OU degrees are as good as solid red brick university degree but that the graduate has probably also demonstrated other features such as the ability to study while working full time.

• 6 years later...

Gosh, this thread is ancient!

I would say, having done study both with the OU and as a conventional Uni, that you need to be more committed to the study, when doing a "distance-learning" degree, like the OU's courses, as it's harder to get yourself into the mindset of studying, when you are on your own, rather than in lectures, and immersed in the studying lifestyle.

it's brilliant to fit round work schedules, but it may be hard to get time off work to attend the Open University's Summer Schools, which are mandatory, (and the expense of it, can be prohibitive, too)

The OU has the biggest dropout rate of all UK universities. I'm not sure why exactly that is but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that people on OU courses tend to balance their studies around full-time work.

I always preferred classroom based studies myself because communication between tutors and other students (group assignments etc) is far easier. I also feel more motivated to do something in a classroom rather than sat at home thinking should I do some work? No, it's a sunny day or there's a good film on TV or whatever. Plus there’s also the social side of things.

That said, you could argue that people who complete an OU course have stuck by it through thick and thin and have shown commitment and aptitude to work through problems on their own by and large. Whether that’s a good point, I don’t know. You can’t go through life without having to interact with people at some point.

Does anyone remember the OU TV programmes during the 70s etc? Big kipper ties and all that!

Archived