Dummies guide to the karate GI

daxx

Hi All;

been looing around for a Karate GI and found about 30 different types so far :help:

I noticed 3 main types...

Kumite, Kata and Beginner.

Obviously as I've not been studying that long, I suppose I should go for beginner, but have previously studied TKD for 6 years I know that I could be doing this for some time!!!!

I previously owned 2 Adidas (elite I think) TKD suits and like these but now I need some recommendations and why (if you dont mind).

BTW, are all Karate GI's short in the legs and arms and other than to make the practitioner look dumb, whats the reasoning :huh::suspect:

as far as leg length goes, it's a bit hard to get stances right if ur toes get caught up in ur gi

especially if u wanna get into some deep stances

u look more of a tool falling over tangled in gi leg than having a bit of a short gi leg!!

Hi All;

been looing around for a Karate GI and found about 30 different types so far :help:

I noticed 3 main types...

Kumite, Kata and Beginner.

Obviously as I've not been studying that long, I suppose I should go for beginner, but have previously studied TKD for 6 years I know that I could be doing this for some time!!!!

I previously owned 2 Adidas (elite I think) TKD suits and like these but now I need some recommendations and why (if you dont mind).

BTW, are all Karate GI's short in the legs and arms and other than to make the practitioner look dumb, whats the reasoning :huh::suspect:

The shorter legs and arms are a Japanese cut which began to become more popular in the early 90s ..... the shorter legs and arms give you more mobility as your limbs don't get caught up in so much thick cotton fabric ....

Archived