The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hook

Our gas combi boiler has been installed since 1992. I am trying to get it serviced but have has a Corgi registered engineer out to the house to be told that the flue is too near an opening window (20 cm) and that if he did any work he would have to disconnect it as it does not meet current safety regulations. The boiler (and window) are in a small 6 foot by 6 foot room upstairs which has the tumble dryer and the boiler in and the window is never opened, especially in winter (why have the heating on and the window open ??). There is absolutely no way in which the flue can be moved.

Whilst I appreciate the need for safety, it must surely be better to have a fully serviced & maintained boiler working than one which may be potentially dangerous, especially as it has been working there okay there for so long.

Any Corgi gas engineers out there able to give me any advice please ??

It may be sufficient to make the window so that it cannot be opened at all, ie by screwing or sealing it closed.

Failing that it would be cheaper to have a non opening window fitted than to move the boiler.

Hope this helps.

Ps I'm not a gas engineer.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I asked her this morning if she was still having problems, and she said that they were all getting hot now. She said she turned the thermostat up form 20 to 25 and it seems to have sorted it out.

Thanks again everyone.:)

Hi All

Can anyone help?

For the few days, I seem to have a problem with my Combi Boiler.

When using the central heating / hot water, both upstairs and downstairs, the boiler is not kicking in most of the time. It will kick in for a few mins and the water will go cold. Some days it will work all ok. :)

The hot water not "kicking in" or reverting to cold is an easy fix.

I had the same problem and contacted a plumber friend of mine who told me what to do.

There's a "Flow meter" on the hot water side that has a filter.

The filter will be partially blocked. I cleaned the filter and it's been fine since.:)

Archived