The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hook

Has anyone out there had a combi boiler fitted recently .I'm wanting to replace my boiler for a combi boiler I have looked through old post's but would like recent feedback.

worcester bosch - we have a 24i junior as of about 2.5 years ago. the only problem we've had with it was a drip which needed tightening. i think you can get better ones than this now - have a look at their website, can't be hard to find.

Can anyone here recommend Birtles of Meersbrook, or not?

They've given us a quote of £2000 to fit a new Combi boiler, get rid of a dodgy gas fire, and rid us of our hot water tank. The house is very big (on 3 floors) and the boiler is a Potterton/Baxi.

Is this reasonable though?

And they want a deposit of half the 2 grand up front too. Is this standard practice?

Cheers.

not a standard practice to ask for money upfront

we usually ask for the cost of materials as it would be expensive to get ripped off for a couple of grand if they cancel the day before fit!

I never pay ANYTHING beforehand. I have occasionally paid an interim payment part through a job if its a big expensive job, but I would never pay a bean before work starts. i would expect any tradesman worth employing has agreements with suppliers allowing him to take stuff back.

Archived