The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hook

I never pay ANYTHING beforehand. I have occasionally paid an interim payment part through a job if its a big expensive job, but I would never pay a bean before work starts. i would expect any tradesman worth employing has agreements with suppliers allowing him to take stuff back.

i would agree but we have the materials delivered to the customers property. when you have a full heting you need it delivered! saves you loading and unloading, and its free! also for tax purposes it helps to keep your turnover down so when a customer pays for the materials it is easier to(ooh) hide the real turnover figure! plus, customers are known to not have the money on rare occaision to fulfill the agreement. then you end up owing for a boiler rads and fittings etc etc and because they are on the customers land they are legally thiers whether they have paid or not! is that fair? i know most customers are genuine and will pay for the good service you do but there is always the exception to the rule and personally i dont want to tell the bank manager/merchant/mortgage people or my daughter that we cant afford food this week because mrs jones has nicked a boiler and 7 rads from us and a non corgi guy has fitted it!

take the front off and light it with a spark igniter?

Actually, when ours refused to ignite, it was coz it needed a good vac out and the thermocouple was getting iffy. Bending the thermocouple closer to where the pilot light was supposed to be solved the problem :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really usefull thread but I don't think I've found an exact answer for what my boiler seems to be doing and would appreciate your thoughts.

Got an Ideal Elan2 boiler located in Garage, approx 14 years old. Boiler cut out a few weeks ago and Homeserve came and got it working again but didn't leave me a record of what they did. They did however say that our system was probably sludged up and that problem may re-occur if we don't get the system flushed out. This seems feasible as some radiators are not as warm as others and have cold spots at the base.

However, after doing some other work in the garage over the weekend I noticed the boiler was switching off and on again every 20 seconds or so whilst the hot water & central heating timer was on (it has an automatic pilot light).

The system is still working as we have warm rads and hot water but it doesn't seem right that the system is switching on and off so frequently??? :confused:

Could this be related to the sludge problem or something else such as a thermostat ?

Thanks for your help .... :)

Hi,got a POLLERTON PRIMA 50F boiler,won't fire up sounds like ignition gone,anyone be able to help,house is bloody freezing

take the front off and light it with a spark igniter?

Actually, when ours refused to ignite, it was coz it needed a good vac out and the thermocouple was getting iffy. Bending the thermocouple closer to where the pilot light was supposed to be solved the problem :thumbsup:

Potterton Prima F is automatic ignition and doesn't have a pilot light. Is the fan running at all when it starts up, or doesn't it run at all? Let me know because I come across this model quite alot. :) My mum's boiler (Glowworm Ultimate) had a problem lighting up a few weeks ago and it just needed the pilot injector cleaning out. Been fine since. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If one more thing goes wrong in this house I'll scream.

This morning, the heating was working fine. This afternoon, it won't turn on. And neither will the hot water. Our Combi boiler (Worcester 280) is in the loft, so we hadn't looked at it in a while. But I've just gone up there and seen the pressure gauge.

Image008.jpg

So, should I be looking at the white needle or the red needle? If the white one, what do I do?? Zero pressure?? Please help.....

The red needle is your lowest safe pressure- you've got a leak somewhere if you have no pressure in your boiler.

Somewhere you should have a tap that allows you to refill your boiler- if you can find it and manually get the pressure between 1 and 2 bar, then you may get your heating working again (but you'll still need to monitor it carefully and get someone in to explain how and why you've had such a pressure drop).

Archived