The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hook

Can you edit a few paragraphs into your post so it's easier to read please Steve? ;) (I'm bound to miss a bit, but here goes...)

if you have a gravity fed system currently (if you have an expansion tank then you do), then you'll quite likely find you have a new water feature in every room if you pressurise it (which is how the combi system works)

If you have a single pipe system, it's very likely to be ancient, and the rads on these systems are not the most efficient at heat delivery.

Given the efficiency of new heating systems, I'd say 'stuff it' and get the whole lot done in one go - peace of mind and all that, and not throwing cash after cash trying to keep old bits of a newer system going (if you attempt the cobble-it-together method ;) )

Try ebaying the existing boiler - somebody will have a use for it this winter ;)

A combi boiler will cope with multiple users - if you choose one with the right capacity

It all depends on where you live whether your shower can cope with 3rd floor installation - you may need a pump, but I have a suspicion you can't pump mains water (I'm sure somebody will tell you for definate either way ;) )

Did you want the shower to be elec or mixer btw?

Thanks for that Strix.

We had sort of thought we might have to go the whole hog.

We would aim for a mixer on the third floor if possible, which might be achievable with a good combi boiler as I think the mains pressure is pretty good.

If you're going to have the shower that far from the ground floor, consider putting the boiler above ground floor level - otherwise it'll take forever for the hot water to reach the shower ;)

Otherwise have an electric one - as they provide instant heat ;)

Our en suite is only on the first floor, but when we rip it out and change it, it'll be getting a water heater under the sink to provide instant hot water coz I'm fed up with running so much water away waiting for the hot to arrive from the boiler :(

• 3 weeks later...

We've recently bought a new house, and I've noticed that the pressure in the combi boiler is set at about 2 bar - it says in the instruction manual that this should be 1.2 bar (the dial goes upto 4) - is this dangerous? How do I go about lowering the pressure, by emptying some water from a radiator maybe?

You could try that but it could get messy. Easiest way (depends how easy it is to get to) is to find the boiler's blow-off valve. This could be located either above or below or even inside the boiler casing near the bottom where all the pipework is. It's usually got a red cap on it and as you turn it the pressure will be blown off outside. Make sure you know how to repressurise it first though as if you blow off too much pressure you'll be knackered. To be honest though if the boiler is running at 2bar when hot it should be ok. If it's at 2bar when cold then it could do with lowering about half a bar to 1.5. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone give me a rough esitimate as to how much it would cost to put in a new radiotor. The pipes are there to connect it to as we had an old rusty one before. We haven't bought a new radiator yet but plan to very soon. The size may be different so I assume the pipes may need adjusting slightly. Does anyone a rough estimate on how much this will cost or can they recommend anyone to do this?

Thanks!

To supply and fit radiator????Dont forget seized or non existant drain off cocks and if the system has to be completely drained down if new valves are required or one or other flow/return tail needs moving the price will go up. Also replacing corrosion inhibitor!!!!

I wouldnt trust a plumber unless they pointed out any particular pitfalls or additional remedial work/costs that may be incurred in advance.

How do I know??? had 3 radiators changed last summer.

PM me if you need a recommendation.

Archived