The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hook

To supply and fit radiator????Dont forget seized or non existant drain off cocks and if the system has to be completely drained down if new valves are required or one or other flow/return tail needs moving the price will go up. Also replacing corrosion inhibitor!!!!

I wouldnt trust a plumber unless they pointed out any particular pitfalls or additional remedial work/costs that may be incurred in advance.

How do I know??? had 3 radiators changed last summer.

PM me if you need a recommendation.

The rough qoute was to fix a radiator not supply, I suggest you read the post.

But what I think you trying to do is slag off every other plumber to get work for you or your mate whose just come out of college.

I have been a fully qualified plumber with over 25years experience in the trade, and the pitfalls you refer to are not applicable in every case, but then maybe you or your mate are trying to make the opportunity to rip people of by charging them for things that don't need doing , no surprise in that I guess.

Faloola qoute still stands

what if, when purchasing said radiator, customer has a quote for labour and then decides to purchase (upon advice of salesperson) a compact; same output, different size!!???

Then along comes someone, like yourself, to hang and connect radiator only to find that there is extra work involved which was not initially expected.

All I was intent on suggesting was that tradespeople should be clear and anticipate what additional work may need to be undertaken. I was not for 1 minute either suggesting you specifically were being disingenuous nor by your assumed implication soliciting for work as "the mate fresh out of college," is actually my father a retired plumbing and heating engineer of over 40 years experience now residing, as of last autumn, in San Diego. Bit of a long way to come just to take a possible job from you!

As for your earlier post I am sure that we are both in agreement,

"£30-£50 it isnt always as easy as it would seem"

Just thought that this vagueness would benefit from some elucidation.

Well you could go on forever with the what ifs and poossible pitfalls, faloola asked for a rough qoute and I gave her one, you cannot qoute for something that hasn't happend.

I do fail to see what its got to do with anybody else, and surely your 'PM me for recommendations' and 'I wouldn't trust a plumber who...' is surely to solicit work for other people.

I'm not in the business of ripping people off and I've got enough work to last me a very long time, without this very minor job, and many many satisifed customers.

• 2 months later...

:help: :help: :help: :help:

Any speedy reply appreciated (my very pregnant wife is getting cold and I need to sort this ASAP!!!)

I have a worchester 350 which now appears dead, (i.e. no lights and illumination on the controls), the electrics going into the machine is ok and no problems previously with the entire system.

I guess?? (please advise if niave) the fault is either the circuit board or the electronic thermostat both of which for this boiler are expensive parts checking online.

So normally I would get a recomended private CORGI man man to fix it but as the parts are expensive am i better getting british gas to fix it as they offer a single payment of £144 and offer to come the next day. I would go for it but I have heard a number of scary stories.

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

:help: :help: :help: :help:

Any speedy reply appreciated (my very pregnant wife is getting cold and I need to sort this ASAP!!!)

I have a worchester 350 which now appears dead, (i.e. no lights and illumination on the controls), the electrics going into the machine is ok and no problems previously with the entire system.

I guess?? (please advise if niave) the fault is either the circuit board or the electronic thermostat both of which for this boiler are expensive parts checking online.

So normally I would get a recomended private CORGI man man to fix it but as the parts are expensive am i better getting british gas to fix it as they offer a single payment of £144 and offer to come the next day. I would go for it but I have heard a number of scary stories.

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

the circuit board is probably expensive, if your confident enough you could check on the board each fuse (if there are more than one) they are small 2 amp fuses and are very inexpensive i do carry them if you want me to pop over. if it is the board i can get a quote for it on tuesday as the merchants are closed til then

hth

You could try that but it could get messy. Easiest way (depends how easy it is to get to) is to find the boiler's blow-off valve. This could be located either above or below or even inside the boiler casing near the bottom where all the pipework is. It's usually got a red cap on it and as you turn it the pressure will be blown off outside. Make sure you know how to repressurise it first though as if you blow off too much pressure you'll be knackered. To be honest though if the boiler is running at 2bar when hot it should be ok. If it's at 2bar when cold then it could do with lowering about half a bar to 1.5. :)

dont use the blow off, these often leak afterwards, locate the filling loop disconnect the heating side and drain a little water off, or locate a drain point on heting system, they look like outside tap connections when you fix a hose to them.

the circuit board is probably expensive, if your confident enough you could check on the board each fuse (if there are more than one) they are small 2 amp fuses and are very inexpensive i do carry them if you want me to pop over. if it is the board i can get a quote for it on tuesday as the merchants are closed til then

hth

You where right i openned the front panel and multimeter'd the fuses and one was shot in 10 mins i had repaired it, now all working fine. No idea what casued it to short however.

Thanks for the brilliant advice GavBriggs.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to say Ged from D&G Plumbing and Heating has done two great jobs for me recently: he came and fixed our combi boiler - quoted me a price on the phone, but when he came to fix it, it was a different part gone wrong and he charged me about half what he had quoted me as it was a cheaper part.

Today, I had fitted a radiator back on after some plastering and the pressure went haywire in the boiler. Ged gave me advice over the phone on how to fix it and I sorted it after one more phone call to check I was doing it right.

All in all, honest, reliable service. I don't know D or G, just got the name D&G off this forum, but I would heartily recommend the service to anyone. Nice folk, too.

The number is 07748 907382.

Archived