The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hook

i had quotes from both and found them really expensive so i looked around and found i could get better service for half the price if i was u shop arond and get quotes

Where did you shop around? It would help me alot if you'd let me know. Cheers.

I had the same problem as you but mine went a little deeper. The boiler was about 30 years old and so was the pipe system. The early sysems can't take the pressure that the combi boilers need so I had to have the whole lot replaced. I asked a firm called Pro property to give me an estimate. They gave me an optional price range to chose from with advice on what would be best and economical for my needs. The new system has been up and running since December last year and no problems whatsoever. I would recomend this company and would certainly use them again.

You've got me worried now because if the boiler is about 30 years old then that means the whole system will be as well. I'm fully expecting the price to be around £900-£1000 which is why the 12 month interest free option from Powergen is looking very useful indeed because i'll be able to pay that off in a few months rather than all at once.

I'll google Pro property to see if they have a website. Cheers.

My current boiler is about 30 years old and i'm currently looking to get a combi-boiler fitted. I have arranged to have a free quote from Powergen and British Gas next week and I was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with these company's regarding boiler fitting.

Also, does anyone know the best place to buy a boiler from that includes fitting? At the moment the best company seems to be Powergen as they have a 12 month interest free payment option. However, British Gas currently have an offer on at the moment of either a free shower fitting or a free towel warming radiator but no interset free payment method.

I have to admit that Powergen seems to be the best option at the minute, what does everyone else think? I have had a look at B&Q but they use British Gas to fit them, so I might as well use British Gas.

Cheers in advance.

We had a quote from British Gas about 3 years ago (our boiler is old too) -they never even bothered to come to the house - just gave a phone quote of around £2700 to replace with a condensing combi (now, bearing in mind we have a TINY 2 up 2 down terraced house and only 6 radiators/ 5 rooms, THAT is steep for just replacing the boiler - not the radiators), so I wouldnt touch em with a bargepole, rob-dogs.

I was well naffed off about them not even bothering to come out to us- I wanted to ask questions about the location of a replacement boiler, what all the various options were etc because a condensing combi boiler (our preference) would probably be much bigger than the boiler we have now and we are restricted where we can site one.

I assumed Powergen and Npower would be equally as extortionate so haven't bothered contacting them and am saving up to pay for a plumber to fit the new boiler instead.

That sounds like flannel to me.

I think to be fair to them, that they meant you did not your storage tanks etc any more (which is a great relief for everyone), as the combi is an 'on demand' system.

Unless your radiators and pipe work were on the point of failure, there is no need to replace those though.

Mind you after 30 years they were about past it.

We were advised that the pipework from the gas mains to the boiler would need to be replaced as it is 15mm not 22mm (or whatever). Someone at work has just had new boiler and was told her would have to have thermostatic valves/ thingies fitted to every radiator.

You've got me worried now because if the boiler is about 30 years old then that means the whole system will be as well. I'm fully expecting the price to be around £900-£1000 which is why the 12 month interest free option from Powergen is looking very useful indeed because i'll be able to pay that off in a few months rather than all at once.

I'll google Pro property to see if they have a website. Cheers.

Dream on- but if you do get it for that price please let us know. I very much doubt it tho...If we were quoted £2700 forthe tinest pokiest little terraced hovel with 5 rooms and a landing...

we have just had a new combi condesing boiler fitted by a plumber friend of ours and that cost us £1450 just for the boiler, we contacted helplink and they wanted to charge us £2999 for a boiler that was 2 grades lower, i can't see how you wil get a decent boiler for less than £1250

We were advised that the pipework from the gas mains to the boiler would need to be replaced as it is 15mm not 22mm (or whatever). Someone at work has just had new boiler and was told her would have to have thermostatic valves/ thingies fitted to every radiator.

The increase in pipe diameter is due to the increased power of the bolier, so that has to be done

The TRV's are about 8 quid apiece, and are nothing to do with the gas fitters.

There is a lot of ripping off obviously going on at present.

In what way does a bloke fitting you a boiler manage to tell you that he has to replace your entire central heating system?

It seems like one of the hidden camera scenarios on the TV.

Beware of cowboys.

If you want it doing cheap shop around, if you want it doing properly go to the gas board, you get what you pay for.

When we had a quote from the gas board it included a five-year service plan plus a survey of our requirements.

They measured the size of the rooms, type of walls, type of insulation, doors, double glassing etc

All this should be taken into consideration, its not just a case of sticking in a double radiator to be on the safe side, we also had thermostats in the bedrooms, warm downstairs, comfortable upstairs.

we had our boiler replaced (20 years old) by british gas had a combi plus all new radiators cost us about £4500 (7 radiators in all) not sure if you can get it done cheaper but an excellent job by the company they contracted out to Ralph Roberts based in chapeltown (not sure if they supply and fit as well but they are in the phone book) very please and got free homecare worth every penny to have an efficient reliable boiler. My dad got his a little cheaper than that with npower earlier this year so might be worth shopping round

Archived