The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hook

We were told it is not good practice to fit thermostats to all radiators.

Yes that is right one should always be left open, so the entire system cannot lock up (usually the bathroom one).

on average you should be able to get about 65% cheaper with local companies. were certainly cheaper! you probably wont have to replace all the radiators and the pipework should be fine with a powerflush. remember everyone gives free quotes. also find out what boiler will be fitted i am pretty sure BG will put a worcester. you should avoid cheap crappy boilers and i would stick to worcester, vokera or vailant. they are more expensive than a biasi from B&Q but the build quality is far superior. hth

Well from what everyone is saying i'm bricking it now about how much it will cost. Not much work has been done on the house in the last few years I reckon. So it looks like a bank loan i'm afraid unless the interest free payment option is ok.

Anyway, i'll see what they say next week. I think i'll go with the big companys though because they'll fit it properly and i'll get loads of aftercare support as well.

Anyway, i'll see what they say next week. I think i'll go with the big companys though because they'll fit it properly and i'll get loads of aftercare support as well.

Dont be too sure about that :(

Dont be too sure about that :(

I know what you mean pal, big companys tend to have faceless call centres but what I mean is they'll have warranties, insurance policies and emergency call outs etc. Plus their engineers will be properly trained and i'll get everything in writing just in case.

:mad: I arranged for D & G Plumbing to come out and do a job for me. They didn't turn up and didn't bother to phone up to cancel. I would not recommend them therefore.

Seconded. All arranged, no show. Rang to chase day after, left message with wife/girlfriend/significant other ("I'll get him to call you as soon as he gets in"). No prizes for guessing he didn't even bother returning that call either. Dire service - AVOID

most boiler manufacturers offer an extended warranty for repairs. most engineers will look after you if you have any problems you get at least 2 years warranty from manufacturers and if its installed by a corgi the warranty can be longer as standard

Seconded. All arranged, no show. Rang to chase day after, left message with wife/girlfriend/significant other ("I'll get him to call you as soon as he gets in"). No prizes for guessing he didn't even bother returning that call either. Dire service - AVOID

Did you mention that you got their name of the forum? We did and they came round and sorted our boiler out within a couple of hours - great service.

D&G appear to prioritise SF customers so make sure you mention the forum.

there are plenty of corgi-registered ex-british gas guys around, if you're determined to use british gas. i'll send you a pm of our absolutely fantastic gas man if i can find his details, but bear in mind that he asked us not to recommend him anymore, as they have so much work that they're turning lots of it down.

big gas companies will not necessarily have better after-sales support - the best after sales support comes from tradesmen who care about their reputation. british gas, however, will have better lawyers to argue against any claims taht you might make, although they will also have a set process in place for complaints, which might work well for all i know. british gas quoted us nearly double what our gas man did for exactly the same boiler, and this isn't uncommon.

thermostatic valves being fitted to every radiator is actively encouraged these days, despite what others have said. it will also be an advantage for the eco rating of your house as/when you decide to sell, as in the future you will need to provide info like insulation/boiler/thermostatic valves in the information you provide when you sell.

as you're looking at your boiler (expect to pay at least £1500 for a boiler in a 3 bed house), you might also want to consider cavity wall insulation and loft insulation - they only cost a few hundred quid each, but will keep your energy bills down (i believe you're supposed to recoup the cost of both within 4 years), and you can find lots of grants for them at http://www.est.org.uk.

good luck.

Archived