The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hook

I know what you mean pal, big companys tend to have faceless call centres but what I mean is they'll have warranties, insurance policies and emergency call outs etc. Plus their engineers will be properly trained and i'll get everything in writing just in case.

any corgi-registered gas fitter is properly trained to fit your boiler. you can get everything in writing from any tradesperson. you will pay for emergency call outs from big companies - probably more than you will for a local tradesman. corgi gas fitters are tested regularly by a corgi inspector, whether they work for a big company or not. in fact, my bet would be that any particularly fantastic gas man doesn't work for a big company because they can earn a lot more working for themselves. as mentioned elsewhere, boilers will be covered by manufacturer's guarantees, and most gas workmen will guarantee their own work, although you should ask when you get the quote.

Well, we had ours done around this time last year..

We had a new Glowworm combi boiler fitted and 8 thermostatic radiators and it cost us £1900..

Our house is a 4 bed semi and one of the radiators they put in for us, went up in the loft so they had to sort out all that pipe work...

We did get quotes from help link and british gas and they were coming back at over £3000 for the same work.. :o

BG quoted £4K we had the job done by Bancroft' (were on Abbeydale Rd but now moved out of town) they charged £2,300 for new boiler 3 new rads with TRV's, one rad moving across the hallway, all surplus tanks and pipes removed and disposed of. We have had to call them out twice since last Nov for minor probs but we have a 2 year call out deal with them as part of the price plus the boiler manufacturer cover is for 5 years. They completed the job in 2 days which was really convenient for us.

• 2 weeks later...

a telephone call prior to setting off always keeps the customer happy and informed, also saves you time and deisel if they are not in. we (like most) do not charge a call out fee or any fees until we have come up with a solution. it could get very expensive if our customers were out at the arranged time so a 2 minute call can save time and money. also if we cannot attend at the arranged time we let the customer know as soon as we are aware of the fact. yes it is a bit of inconvenience in todays busy society but it happens and people just have to live with it. the way i see it is if we hit a problem and it takes longer a customer would expect us to stay and sort it rather than run out at a specific time. that is the time to make the call!

it is the customer that pays our wage and yes they are always right(when they argree with me that is, lol)

I agree with you Gav. I would have happily understood if there was a delay in coming to see my job and would have had no problem arranging another appointment. Next time I have a problem you will be my first choice, I appreciate good manners and a quick phone call is all it takes.

I agree with you Gav. I would have happily understood if there was a delay in coming to see my job and would have had no problem arranging another appointment. Next time I have a problem you will be my first choice, I appreciate good manners and a quick phone call is all it takes.

thankyou, it is appreciated. we are simple creature who need only coffee and a boiler to be happy! lol

• 3 weeks later...

Archived