The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hook

This was because I drilled the centre of my floor joists (mostly) so as not to weaken them, and fed the pipes through instead of chopping a chunk out of the top of each joist and weakening them like 'professionals' do.

A correctly 'notched' joist is not weakened and there are stingent guidelines to follow. So you can rest assured that your 'mostly' joists may be OK if you notched them to current standards.

As for my initial comment, i still stand by the fact that Wickes(Halstead) boilers are utter rubbish.

A notched joist is always weakened. It's a law of physics.

now you're just being bloody minded ;) A notched joist if done correctly, and within the tolerences set down within the building regulations, will not undermine the weight bearing capacity of the joist and surrounding structure. Its a law of the Health & Safety Executive :)

now now boys calm down!

Notches:

Notches should only be made in the top edge of the joist.

Notches should be no deeper than 0.125 times the depth of the joist.

Notches should be no closer to the structure supporting them than 0.07 times the span of the joist and no further away than 0.25 (¼) times the span. This is to avoid the area of maximum shear force, and the area of maximum bending in the joist.

Holes:

Holes should only be drilled on the centre line of the joist. This is where the compressive and tensile load distribution is neutralised.

Holes should have a diameter of no greater than 0.25 times the depth of the joist.

Holes should be no closer together than 3 times the largest diameter permitted.

Holes should be no closer to the support than 0.25 times the span and no further away than 0.40 times the span.

• 4 weeks later...
:mad: I arranged for D & G Plumbing to come out and do a job for me. They didn't turn up and didn't bother to phone up to cancel. I would not recommend them therefore.
ignore my original posting about dg i got the company name wrong anyway the firm have just phoned and said sorry for not coming and have made new appoinment

waited in over an hour after phoning D&G This morning no call to say they wernt coming waste of time

i will be using someone else for the work i need doing

Got a quote from D and G for a very small two bed terrace with 5 radiators. The quote was £3200/ without VAT and £3760/ with VAT.

Got another quote for the same work for £1700. The work was brilliant and of course he was Corgi registered and all that stuff they all say.

I felt D and G are very expensive.

Just a quick post to say thanks to Andy (forum name astirl2809)

Called yesterday evening to see if he could pop out to look at our boiler (pilot light wouldn't stay lit), he's just been to take a look and we have hot water again, hurrah! He also took the time to explain the problem in simple terms, and set out the options available to us in the long term.

Fast efficient friendly service at very decent prices. Time for a bath I think!

• 2 weeks later...

:mad:i have just been sat waiting for d&g from 8.30 this morning for them to come and do a job for me no phone calls to say they would be running late no nothing had to get my 9 month old daughter up dressed bathed fed at 6.30 and out of house so no dusy noise etc DO NOT USE THESE BLOKES DO IT YOURSELF TOTAL TIMEWASTERS

Just to say Ged from D&G Plumbing and Heating has done two great jobs for me recently: he came and fixed our combi boiler - quoted me a price on the phone, but when he came to fix it, it was a different part gone wrong and he charged me about half what he had quoted me as it was a cheaper part.

Today, I had fitted a radiator back on after some plastering and the pressure went haywire in the boiler. Ged gave me advice over the phone on how to fix it and I sorted it after one more phone call to check I was doing it right.

All in all, honest, reliable service. I don't know D or G, just got the name D&G off this forum, but I would heartily recommend the service to anyone. Nice folk, too.

The number is 07748 907382.

Archived