The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hook

read your building regs or health and safety.. they have virtually tied it up . now ..

gas = corgi.......

electrical = part p......

solid fuel= hetas.......you cant even sweep a chimmney now without a qualification.

windows=fensa......

also what no one ever asks for is when you fit a bathroom you have to notify it .. and to notify it you need to be part of a competence scheme,fitting bathrooms is not a diy job any more, unless you bring building standards in to certificate it at a cost of 200 pound .:)

in all these trades you can get someone to sign it off for you. this is a loop hole thats all and done to fool building standards...

also this is a wifes tail you can not fit gas in your own house.. also the other 1 you cant fit in some one else's house if you do it for free.

you answered it for your self gav

3. - (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.competent in the eyes of the law states working on gas acs/corgi minimum..

So it looks like you ended up with either a Biaisi or a Potterton - neither known for their efficiency or reliability. The radiators supplied by this company are cheap and nasty also

The only boiler i would entertain from 'Mr Central Heating' is the Baxi Platinum 33HE. PS: those Recomended Retail Prices are way over-inflated on that website. :roll:

Donoghue has got it about right when he says £2500-£3000 with a GOOD boiler. You will be ending up with a full install, so be wary of anyone quoting £1700 including rads as you get what you pay for

I also agree with Gav about getting in a few written quotes within your budget and then comparing like for like

Our Potterton boiler has never missed a beat. We moved into the house in Jan this year. The boiler was installed in 1998. We had it serviced this year and the gas fitter said they were good boilers. It runs on next to nothing as well.

Our Potterton boiler has never missed a beat. We moved into the house in Jan this year. The boiler was installed in 1998. We had it serviced this year and the gas fitter said they were good boilers. It runs on next to nothing as well.

I'm glad to hear you got a good boiler. However, Potterton do have a name for poor quality boilers. This may change since they amalgamated with Baxi.

I'm glad to hear you got a good boiler. However, Potterton do have a name for poor quality boilers. This may change since they amalgamated with Baxi.

Our old house had a Baxi that was more trouble than it was worth. Broke down on the coldest day of the year about a year after it was installed. So quality has probably nose dived.

Any update on what you ended up with?

I need a new boiler as well, conventional 18kW one.

The brands have been mentioned so far:

• Baxi Solo 18
  • Viesmann Vitodens 100
  • Vaillant ecoTEC plus 418
  • Worcester Bosch Greenstar 18Ri

They seem to all have at least 2 yrs parts and labour. Viesmann has 10yrs on its heat exchanger, not sure about the overall boiler though.

I don't mind paying a bit extra for peace of mind, also for easy future serviceablity.

Archived