The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hook

Hi

Hope your system is sorted. If the gauge ever goes into the red try bleeding one of the radiators. This happened to my Vaillant last year after we had 3 new rads in the attic conversion. Rang the gut who installed the boiler and it worked.

As complete heat says you can 'fill it up' - we were told 1.6.

if the pressure increases above 2 bar then either the filling loop is 'letting by' or a problem with the expansion vessel which may need re-charging

Just had miine serviced by BG...

Engineer told me it should be between 1.5 and 2.5....A radiator in the attic and another in a bedroom were not getting hot....so he 'balanced' them!

I'd say thats a little on the high side.(unless BG engineer said this is the pressure when the boiler is hot) I usually say 1.5 and no more than 2 bar.

PRV (pressure release valve) will 'blow' when a boiler reaches 3bar. The pressure in a boiler can easily increase by .5bar from cold to hot (hot water expands). So, if you set your cold pressure to 2.5 bar and run your heating, the valve will 'blow off' and your boiler will go into lockout.

I would try to drain the PRV (usually has a red cap in the boiler) let all the water out and refill via the loop, fill to 1.5 bar when cold it should go no higher then 2.0 bar hot, if it's at 2.5 still no worries.

If after doing this it goes straight to red then phone an engineer up or go on DIYNOT.COM and look for the plumbing section and ask on there, it is a very very useful site with alot of good chaps on there offering online help.

Hope that helps, Mark.

Hi all

I have recently bought a house and need some advice about the hot water. The boiler works fine and the radiators work ok, but I never seem to be able to get really hot water from the taps.

Quite often when using the hot water tap or the shower (not an electric shower – works off the tap) the water is hot for the first minute or so, but then it cools to a very luke-warm temperature. I have the boiler set so that the hot water should be hot, as and when required, and having very little knowledge of boilers and their workings I was wondering if anybody had any advice.

I’m not against getting somebody to come and look at it if that’s what is required, but I just didn’t want to pay a plumber to come out and then pay him an extortionate amount of money just to do something very simple that I could do myself! :blush:

I would welcome any advice/ suggestions. Thanks!

Hi Malky - thanks for your suggestion (don't worry about stating the obvious - i know diddly squat about this sort of thing so it could be something dead easy that i need to do). I have tried this and even with the tap just about on, the water is fairly hot to start with and then the temperature drops to luke warm after about a minute. And the shower is manually controlled. Thanks for your help though!

Archived