The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hook

i think what you are saying is that when you tunrn on the cold tap the boiler starts to turn over ie: fan starts etc.

usually caused by a dead leg in the hot pipework, which in english means when the boiler was fitted hot take off was probably connected in the kitchen somewhere and the pipework up to the cylinder cupboard was not removed.. ie: dead leg an amount of water in a pipe that is going no were usually has an amount of trapped air that causes a buffer affect and flips the micro switch in the diverter so the boiler thinks you have opened the hot tap.

just found this thread, we have a baxi bermuda fire and back boiler, would any one know if the fire would work on its own? we're due to have a combi fitted but really like the fire. all the pipe work , water tank, etc is due to go, do we really need to buy a new fire? any advice would be welcome, ta

you can de-comission the back boiler and continue using the fire front BUT when servicing the appliance it is still classed as 2 appliances and should be serviced as such. so the back boiler unit stays in situ and is not removed,important the fire is not a stand alone unit.

would you have to decommision the wet side, i.e cap and drain heat exchange, then just safety check for flue flow and spillage,presume the gas side to bbu would be capped in some way. also will the whole unit still be classed as a bbu unit for corgi/gas regs purposes and not a fire requiring the relevant space heater module.

never done it or seen it done but it could be an option for some customers who would rather keep the fire( at least for the time bieng).

the customer wants a combi so the wet part of the appliance would be disconnected .(i disconnect it anyway)

check for the usually on a back boiler debri plate,seal round boiler,seal on diverter plate, flue flow test,ventilation etc.

i remove the gas valve and cap off and strip out the guts of the back boiler burners etc.

been to some fire shops this mornin and to be honest lookin at the gas fires available , on comin home we realise how old fashioned and tired this one looks, we've been in house almost 20 years and all this was put in by previous owners. also the heat that you get out of the fires they had installed was just as good if not better than this, so we're puttin thinkin caps on and may go for a NEW fire!!!

thanks for advise tho :)

dont touch ferroli.....(made of chocolate and feathers)

valiant is excellant boiler.....(sedbuk A)

dont touch potterton although they are the same company as the baxi and main they are not a good solid build quality lots of bugs and faults.expecially the instant model.

baxi plat 28he ... 100% yes (sedbuk A )

worster bah i hate em.. :( but very good non the less. (sedbuk A)

duo tec also good boiler and sedbuk A.

not raven heat or biasi.

ideal or halstead either errr.

or chafoteaux .....

stick with baxi ..next day repairs by service agents if there is a problem (very rare)

Hi

My gran needs a new boiler. It's only a small flat. Her old combi is about 13 years old so did do quite well.

How much would you charge as a rough idea? It's a 1 bed flat. It does need to be reliable, quiet, and easy to use (would be nice not to have a flame!!)

Cheers!

Hi

My gran needs a new boiler. It's only a small flat. Her old combi is about 13 years old so did do quite well.

How much would you charge as a rough idea? It's a 1 bed flat. It does need to be reliable, quiet, and easy to use (would be nice not to have a flame!!)

Cheers!

Your gran may qualify for help from these people http://www.warmfront.co.uk/heating-rebate-scheme.htm

Dear jl-heating,

I have a Potterton Kingfisher II which I know is very old, but has been regularly serviced. It is a big old clonker, but I have a Utility Room the size of the Royal Albert Hall. It works smashing, should I take the advice '' if it's not broke don't fix it '' ?

All the best,

Treatment.

Archived