The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hook

They want lagging asap,you can get the sponge type that slots over your pipes from B&Q, it's not expensive. Do it now or pay later if you have a burst pipe. Personally i would contact the plumber and tell him if a pipe does freeze or burst you will hold him responsible for any costs or damage .

I would have thought that it would be unlikely that you would have a burst pipe due to freezing inside your house. Unless some of the pipes go outside your house or through a cellar with a large opening at the back of the house.

The real problem with pipes not being lagged is that you want most of the heat to come out of the radiators and not the pipes. This is because the radiators are positioned and shaped to convect heat into each room in an efficient way.

If you have especially long unlagged pipes, than your radiators will get a few degrees less hot and your heating will be slightly less efficient. But as the pipes are inside your home anyhow, the heat is still inside, and you will probably only get a minimal difference.

Getting these pipes lagged would not be a priority for myself if I had more important things to do.

My dad once got a burst pipe due to an unlagged pipe, but it was essentially outside under a carport beneath a house extension. After it was repaired, the repair plummer lagged the pipe and fitted extra insulating board to the ceiling of the carport. It has been ok for the next 15 years!

I'd say if the pipes or part of the pipes were outside then insulate this part ASAP. Internal pipework would be a good idea to lag for the reason just suggested about radiators convecting properly.

I remember on one of my early energy surveys there was a lady who had a large copper hot water tank with no insulation on it. She kept the water heating on (from her boiler) all day and night to keep the tank hot as all the heat just went straight through the copper. When I suggested she insulate the tank as she could save hundreds of pounds a year on her bills I got a funny look and was asked how she would keep the towels warm in the airing cupboard?

Needless to say I was going to suggest she got some solar water heating as well but decided against it. Made me chuckle anyway :hihi:

Yep its Christmas and my boiler is playing up. The plumber is coming out tomorrow to look at it. I wondered if anyone anyone else has had the same problem I am having with my Ferolli Modena 80 boiler. The problem is it isnt firing up sufficiently and the red lock out light comes on this also happens after the 3 minute delay after having the hot water on. I have reset it on a number of occassions and sometimes this has worked but more often than not the red light comes straight on.

Yep its Christmas and my boiler is playing up. .

Yep, i'll join the club. My problem is simply that our boiler has stopped heating the water. Central Heating (radiators) are fine but we now only get luke warm water. We did turn the radiators off as we thought it the boiler may have been working overtime to keep them hot but this didn't seem to solve the problem. Any ideas???

pipes should be lagged under wooden floor/roofs and in outbuildings etc like a porch area or coal shed.

it is advisory only and corgi wont chase this up,

most boilers have a built in frost stat so if the temp really drops the pump comes on and circulates the water round the system therefore moving water takes longer to freeze.

ideally the pipes should be lagged as you will be getting heat loss in areas that dont need it so really wasting money (not a lot but it will add up over the year)

beware this is 1 way an engineer can short cut and save money on an install,to be honest if it is not in the quote he is not really obligated to lagg pipes as i said it is good practise and not set in stone.

dont go to b&G try a merchants it will be cheaper 1 Pound a metre for the good stuff class 1, 25mm or use the 9mm insull (grey stuff) not as good and lots cheaper.

Hi

lagging the pipes and was incuded in the quote. They said they were out of cladding and would come back at a later date to finish off the work. Stupid me paid them and I doubt they will come back to finish off. I am really surprised as I used someone off this forum and they seemed really nice at the time.

Archived