Any former SS Ugandans out there?

me;

Oct.1980, Naples, Pompeii, Santorini, Rhodes, Cairo/Alexandria(T'Egypt), Split, Dubrovnik.

Very happy trip ours. First time abroad for most of our lot(Brookies) and a real eye-opener, some memorie sof Getting drunk on Ouzo in Greece for first time, Seeing Pyramids up close, trying to cop off with half the girls(and failing), parties on the ship etc.

Fantastic:thumbsup: .

Anybody else out there sailed with the Uganda? where/when?

Nearly went on it during my time in the Royal Navy in 1982 when it docked in Gibraltar to be converted into a hospital ship for the Falklands War! I was based in Gib at the time and some of us had been 'drafted' to it. Right at the last minute we were told that we wouldn't be going on it after all, something to do with hospital ships and the Geneva Convention I recall although to this day I have no idea exactly what that was :confused:

I was an Engineer Officer on the Uganda in the mid seventies, a very happy ship I remember. :D

She was an Educational Cruise Liner, so always went to lots of interesting places off the usual tourist track.

I would imagine that some of the places we used to go are now off the agenda unfortunatly :(

Due to some un-explained political crisis, We had to miss Turkey off the agenda for some reason in 1980??.

Although bizzarrely they were quite happy for us to drive through Cairo and Alexandria. Egypt was having a spat with Israel at the time. A real eye-opener to be driving past sandbagged machine gun posts and the army at the ready in the streets.

You mention Naples, I remember one time we were in Naples at the same time as the USS John F Kennedy.

They were anchored way out in the bay.

They were doing practice emergency manouvers, pretending they had lost their rudder.

They had two jet aircraft fastenend down to the aft deck, and were swinging the ship by firing the jets on the aircraft.

An awesome sight, and incredibly noisy. Jet engines on full power at sea level, even two miles away aren't quiet.

Archived