Restaurant Review - Royal Spice

discodown

on saturday night me the missus and a friend went for a curry. as we live in walkley we were aware that a new curry house had opened so decided to go there. this curry house is directly opposite netto, a bad sign before we start!

and so to the 'royal spice' what can i say? well if you like curry, i mean really like curry, if you appreciate asian food at all in any way don't go there for a meal. i can honestly say it was the worst curry i've ever had, this place is so bad it makes balti king look professional and organised. its so terrible i can't think of anything to redeem it and make it worth going back.

firstly poppadums aren't free like at most places, but they don't actually tell you that, oh no they offer them and bring them without ever mentioning that you have to pay for them. unlike lots of the other curry houses round sheffield.

the service was inept and unprofessional, the food was terrible, none of our curries had any spiciness, flavour or heat. none of us were sweating when we'd finished. the naan bread was prepackaged, we didn't get all the side orders together...

...i could go on and on and on but i won't. suffice to say we had a terrible meal. sheffield does have some good curry houses this isn't one of them.

Are they just taking time to get settled in to a new place?

Originally posted by discodown

none of us were sweating when we'd finished

Should you have to be? Maybe you should try some proper curry if you think that.

oh man that sounds a real shame...I was gonna try there too....may wait to hear from some other peoples first

On the subject of Walkley and curry....does anybody know if anyone's taking over Tajaks?

"closed for refurbishment" the sign says....that's been up months tho'

I went there a couple of weeks ago and me and my mate were pretty impressed with the food. We're both pretty passionate on the subject of curry so I think we've got a reasonable taste for it and we both enjoyed it.

The service was OK, particularly because they also had to deal with a couple of tables of complete meat head while we were there, they asked us if we wanted popadoms, we didn't expect to get them for free, my nan was really nice, certainly not pre packed and my jalfrezi (I think) was pretty warm.

Maybe you went on a bad night, maybe there have a different chef some nights?

Originally posted by Tony

Are they just taking time to get settled in to a new place?

Should you have to be? Maybe you should try some proper curry if you think that.

i'm not saying you should be pouring in sweat and in agony, but you should have a light dab going on. thats the point of spicy food.

i've tried proper curry i'm a curry diva! that place was awful, we'll never go back. as soon as tajak's reopens we shall be there instead. they are superb

Originally posted by Tony

Ummm... I don't think it is.

when you eat spicy food you should be aware that the thing you've eaten had some form of heat in it. this usually results in a light sweat. we didn't get that, we had no idea we'd eaten curry, there was no heat in it at all. its not like we ordered vindaloo i'm not an animal! i ordered a chicken tikka karai and there was no heat to it not much flavour either.

if you're saying that curry should have no heat, no spiciness and no flavour than i can only conclude you know nothing about curry

Archived