Restaurant Review - Royal Spice

discodown

But don't you go to an Indian restaurant to eat traditional Indian curry ?

Each region of the Indian subcontinent has it's own specialities, madras from Madras etc, (Is it Goa where they have hundreds of different types of biriani? place and dish may be wrong but you get the idea).

Although restaurants like the Red Fort have been around since the 19th century, the explosion in numbers happened in the seventies as mainly Bangladeshis and Pakistanis opened up places and menus where adapted to suit the British palate.

So what you get when you go for an indian, is a very loose interpretation by people who have no more idea how to make traditional Indian dishes than you or me.

So what you get when you go for an indian, is a very loose interpretation by people who have no more idea how to make traditional Indian dishes than you or me.

I know how to make a traditional curry, I've got a Madhur Jaffray cookbook. :)

Is it any good? We've got The Curry Secret at home - turns out lovely curry-house type dishes but it's a real faff.

Yeah, it's the book of the TV series she did, where she goes to different areas and does a few recipes from that area. They are all pretty simple, though they can involve a bit of (worthwhile) faffing about, and once you've got all the ingredients (buy in bulk on London Road) the results are pretty good. Some of the vegetarian dishes are fantastic.

Yeah, it's the book of the TV series she did, where she goes to different areas and does a few recipes from that area. They are all pretty simple, though they can involve a bit of (worthwhile) faffing about, and once you've got all the ingredients (buy in bulk on London Road) the results are pretty good. Some of the vegetarian dishes are fantastic.

Cheers, I'll give her a try. We've been getting Lloyd Grossman sauces recently and I can't take the guilt anymore.

Archived