Restaurant Review - Royal Spice

discodown

on saturday night me the missus and a friend went for a curry. as we live in walkley we were aware that a new curry house had opened so decided to go there. this curry house is directly opposite netto, a bad sign before we start!

and so to the 'royal spice' what can i say? well if you like curry, i mean really like curry, if you appreciate asian food at all in any way don't go there for a meal. i can honestly say it was the worst curry i've ever had, this place is so bad it makes balti king look professional and organised. its so terrible i can't think of anything to redeem it and make it worth going back.

firstly poppadums aren't free like at most places, but they don't actually tell you that, oh no they offer them and bring them without ever mentioning that you have to pay for them. unlike lots of the other curry houses round sheffield.

the service was inept and unprofessional, the food was terrible, none of our curries had any spiciness, flavour or heat. none of us were sweating when we'd finished. the naan bread was prepackaged, we didn't get all the side orders together...

...i could go on and on and on but i won't. suffice to say we had a terrible meal. sheffield does have some good curry houses this isn't one of them.

god i remember that - our mate ordered a cheesey garlic naan, the one they brought out looked plain so he queried it with the staff, they said that the cheese was in the middle and told him to rip into it which he did, lo and behold no cheese, they apologised, picked up a naan off a different table and told him to try that one, and put the one our mate had torn into back on the other table! - now that was gross......

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurect an old post but I had to write about this restaurant.

We went there on Friday night, after a walk round Walkley. We tried this place about 3 years ago, and the food was poor.

Not to hold a grudge we decided to try it again. Unfortunately it was worse than I seemed to recall. My partner asked for a Chicken Vindaloo. When it arrived, about 1 hour later, he tucked in to ...potatoes! Now I'm not an expert on Chicken Vindaloo, but I know it doesn't contain potato.

I had lamb passanda, and it was like eating tapioca. The sauce was thick and gluey, with a skin on the top, and didn't taste of anything.

When the bill arrived, I took it to the counter, and had a word with the guy who was stood there. I told him that I wasn't happy with the food, and perhaps they ought to inform customers about the potato in the Chicken Vindaloo. He then told me rather rudely that I ought to ask what was in a dish, before I ordered!

We paid the bill and left, vowing not to go back. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone. The food was bad, the customer service was even worse.

Jayne

Well without wanting to get into a flame war (;)) Chilli isn't the essential ingredient in curry. Currying is just the method of cooking - like roasting or frying.

AND!... most of the restaurants in Sheffield are run by Pakistanis , not Indians.

But more generally... yes, the sort of curries that you're talking about are a big joke perpetrated on the English pallette that often wouldn't know a good curry if it dribbled down their chin after 10 pints. ;)

We used to go to the Anglo-Indian do's at the City Hall years ago and I don't ever remember sweating unless I was dancing. :thumbsup: But then. all the food was cooked by Indians for Indians. I miss those do's - they were the one of the best of the year.

Slight correction there mate.

Most of them are run by Bangladeshis not pakistanis. Pakistanis tend to have more takeaways than actual restaurants but the real upmarket restaurants especially are run by Bangladeshis.

Just for the record my dad used to own the curry centre back in the 60's till 1986 when he sold it.

The Curry Centre was my vist ever visit to a Curry house. My ma and pa used to go every saturday night and always looked forward to the doggy bag when they got in!

If I remember right, the owner I recall was a tall old man that went by the name of " Hi" or something

Sorry to resurect an old post but I had to write about this restaurant.

We went there on Friday night, after a walk round Walkley. We tried this place about 3 years ago, and the food was poor.

Not to hold a grudge we decided to try it again. Unfortunately it was worse than I seemed to recall. My partner asked for a Chicken Vindaloo. When it arrived, about 1 hour later, he tucked in to ...potatoes! Now I'm not an expert on Chicken Vindaloo, but I know it doesn't contain potato.

I had lamb passanda, and it was like eating tapioca. The sauce was thick and gluey, with a skin on the top, and didn't taste of anything.

When the bill arrived, I took it to the counter, and had a word with the guy who was stood there. I told him that I wasn't happy with the food, and perhaps they ought to inform customers about the potato in the Chicken Vindaloo. He then told me rather rudely that I ought to ask what was in a dish, before I ordered!

We paid the bill and left, vowing not to go back. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone. The food was bad, the customer service was even worse.

Jayne

To be fair, the Pork Vindaloo recipe I use has potato in it and it's really nice and from an authentic cook book. Different places cook things differently, The Vindaloo my friend was addicted to in Goa also had potato in.

I can't coment on the service but maybe you upset them with your knowlegde of indian food!

The Curry Centre was my vist ever visit to a Curry house. My ma and pa used to go every saturday night and always looked forward to the doggy bag when they got in!

If I remember right, the owner I recall was a tall old man that went by the name of " Hi" or something

Abdul Hai bought the restaurant from my dad in 1986.

My dad was a short guy.

Archived