Royce gracie seminar

Does wearing tracksuit bottoms and a black vest affect ones perfomance?

Just an opinion, but surely if someone is there in tracky bottoms and a vest it would suggest to the observer that they have not been doing the sport very long. The reason being that once you have tried BJJ for a while you will decide whether or not you like it and then you will purchase a Gi.

The whole belt situation with BJJ is based on ability and time spent on the mat.

In particular, being awarded a blue belt just means that you have got some game. In that you have grasped the basics and can carry out a few of the more basic BJJ moves in a pressure situation.

If someone hasn't been doing it long enough to even own a Gi, it does beg the question "have they been doing it long enough to have grasped the basics?"

It is not all about tapping people out (though that is a large part). Think about this, if a really strong 100kg guy who has never done any BJJ, rolls with a decent blue belt at a seminar. The blue belt weighs 65kg. The strong guy gets the blue belt in a school yard headlock and through brute strength cases the much smaller person to tap. Does this entitle the bigger guy to a blue belt? he has shown absolutely no grasp of the fundamentals, no technique whatsoever and he has learnt nothing.

OK Guys lets put this one to bed!

Unfortunately there will always be a little politics and opinions between clubs its life.

I will say this tho, There is a problem between Gracie Barra Sheffield and Royce Gracie Network.

This problem is students that like to stir it up between the clubs for some messed up reason. More offline than on Any issue I have ever had with ANY instructor at Royce Gracie Network was water under the bridge a long time ago.

If these people spent as much time building bridges as appose to destroying them, Sheffield could be a major player in the development of bjj in the country.

The offer to network between clubs has been laid on the table by myself on a number of occasions, you don’t want it your loss but stop screwing others opportunities to feed you own goal!

John

Just an opinion, but surely if someone is there in tracky bottoms and a vest it would suggest to the observer that they have not been doing the sport very long. The reason being that once you have tried BJJ for a while you will decide whether or not you like it and then you will purchase a Gi.

The whole belt situation with BJJ is based on ability and time spent on the mat.

In particular, being awarded a blue belt just means that you have got some game. In that you have grasped the basics and can carry out a few of the more basic BJJ moves in a pressure situation.

If someone hasn't been doing it long enough to even own a Gi, it does beg the question "have they been doing it long enough to have grasped the basics?"

It is not all about tapping people out (though that is a large part). Think about this, if a really strong 100kg guy who has never done any BJJ, rolls with a decent blue belt at a seminar. The blue belt weighs 65kg. The strong guy gets the blue belt in a school yard headlock and through brute strength cases the much smaller person to tap. Does this entitle the bigger guy to a blue belt? he has shown absolutely no grasp of the fundamentals, no technique whatsoever and he has learnt nothing.

I would agree that it would suggest that to an observer, and it could be the case, however just because you don't train in specifically in BJJ doesn't neccessarily mean that you shouldn't/couldn't be graded in it.

for example a high ranking judoka may attend a BJJ seminar and get graded, despite never having attended a BJJ session. Of course a high ranking judoka would probably own a gi(!), but i do know that one guy who trains in RBSD and does not wear a gi has been given a blue belt in BJJ, despite never having practiced BJJ. This is simply because his skills were at such a high level from the instruction he received from Dave Turton (who has an encyclopaedic knowledge of grappling and martial arts in general) that his ability on the mat was deemed to be at the appropriate level.

It could also be that someone chose not to bring their gi! whatever the case, it usually pays for people to look past the 'obvious' and establish the facts before making a judgement.

i wholeheartedly agree with your latter comment (about the 65kg blue belt) by the way :D

what do you think?

I won't be visitng SFUK or any MMA forum - the lure of training for me has always been the self-defence aspect, as well as personal development and enjoyment. MMA has nothing to do with self-defence and so i have no interest.

I'm not sure if I agree your statement about MMA having nothing to do with Self Defence.

MMA is about learning different arts and using what works for you. Since I've been involved in martial arts, I've practiced Kung Fu, Boxing, Combat Jiu-Jitsu and most recently Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

I'd use what's relevant at the time. i.e, on the street I'd strike to the eyes, throat, groin - Adrenaline and fear is a big factor, so I'd use whatever I need to make sure I win. Grapple at the last resort.

In a BJJ class the 'fight' becomes more like a contest, a chess match. It's much different from a street fight. But the techniques would still be very effective should I need them.

More strings to your bow = more chance to handle every possible situation.

OK Guys lets put this one to bed!

Unfortunately there will always be a little politics and opinions between clubs its life.

I will say this tho, There is a problem between Gracie Barra Sheffield and Royce Gracie Network.

This problem is students that like to stir it up between the clubs for some messed up reason. More offline than on Any issue I have ever had with ANY instructor at Royce Gracie Network was water under the bridge a long time ago.

If these people spent as much time building bridges as appose to destroying them, Sheffield could be a major player in the development of bjj in the country.

The offer to network between clubs has been laid on the table by myself on a number of occasions, you don’t want it your loss but stop screwing others opportunities to feed you own goal!

John

i don't know about any offline activities, but either way, it's a shame, because as you rightly say 'Sheffield could be a major player in the development of bjj in the country'. Unfortunately that will never be the case while ANYONE is making divisive comments (not aimed at you Paul!) because it does deter people from attending seminars, clubs, etc. (maybe it shouldn't, but it does!).

I'm not sure what anyone could achieve by stirring things between clubs, other than limiting the opportunities of all concerned :confused:

I'm not sure if I agree your statement about MMA having nothing to do with Self Defence.

MMA is about learning different arts and using what works for you. Since I've been involved in martial arts, I've practiced Kung Fu, Boxing, Combat Jiu-Jitsu and most recently Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

I'd use what's relevant at the time. i.e, on the street I'd strike to the eyes, throat, groin - Adrenaline and fear is a big factor, so I'd use whatever I need to make sure I win. Grapple at the last resort.

i'm not sure what you mean by more strings to your bow, but there is a school of though that suggests it is more effective to have a few well-versed techniques as opposed to being 'overloaded' with lots. of course experience is always good to have, and back-ups if necessary...what are your thoughts?

In a BJJ class the 'fight' becomes more like a contest, a chess match. It's much different from a street fight. But the techniques would still be very effective should I need them.

More strings to your bow = more chance to handle every possible situation.

fair point, i inadvertently worded that somewhat wrong! however, the two are definitely not the same, and people who have both competed and had plenty of action on the street (e.g. Dave Briggs, Kevin O'Hagan, Dave Turton, Geoff Thompson), all acknowledge the differences, both in practice and what they preach)

fair point, i inadvertently worded that somewhat wrong! however, the two are definitely not the same, and people who have both competed and had plenty of action on the street (e.g. Dave Briggs, Kevin O'Hagan, Dave Turton, Geoff Thompson), all acknowledge the differences, both in practice and what they preach)

I actually attended Dave Turton's last seminar on Tae Sabaki & Agressive Impact Techniques - An excellent teacher, open to questions and friendly at the same time.

i'm not sure what you mean by 'more strings to your bow'...there is a schhol of thought that suggests having a few well-versed techniques is preferable to being 'overloaded'.. of course experience is always good and 'back-up' techniques are useful...what are your thoughts?

i'm not sure what you mean by 'more strings to your bow'...there is a schhol of thought that suggests having a few well-versed techniques is preferable to being 'overloaded'.. of course experience is always good and 'back-up' techniques are useful...what are your thoughts?

What I mean't with having 'more strings to my bow', was that it can't hurt to be as good as possible in all departments. Even if your first game plan is to be passive, put up a 'Fence' and strike when they are not expecting it.

But if that doesn't work it can esculate from you being able to control the situation (to a degree), to an all out brawl.

It's at this point where I know, that if the fight hits the floor I don't need to panic (haha MUCH) becuase I've been there before.

You never know, your opponent may put himself in line for a head kick - It's rare, but if you can kick well it'll be the last thing he'd expect.

Doesn't hurt to learn these things:thumbsup:

Archived