Nettle Beer

900g (2lb) Young Nettle Tops

4.5lt (8 pints) Water

450g (1lb) Demerara Sugar

2 Lemons

25g (1 oz) Cream of Tartar

15g (½oz) Brewers or Wine Yeast

Wash and drain the nettles.

Finely peel the lemons, removing only the outer waxy layer, squeeze the juice.

Place the nettles and water into a large saucepan and bring to the boil, boil for 15 minutes. (This may be done in batches if you do not have a large enough saucepan.)

Strain the liquid into a large container with the lemon rind and juice and cream of tartar, stir well.

Allow to cool to about 21°C (70°F), remove a little of the liquid and mix with the yeast, stir the yeast mixture into the liquid.

Cover the container with a clean cloth (ensuring that the cloth cannot come into contact with the liquid) and secure with string or elastic.

Leave in a warm place 21°C (70°F) for 3 days.

Strain the liquid into strong bottles and cork.

Secure the corks with wire, leaving a little play (for possible expansion)

Store the bottle in a cool dark place.

If the corks begin to rise, release the wire slightly and re-secure.

The beer should be ready to drink after one week.

Thanks deecee, that's just the ticket.

I shall relive my childhood days this weekend and pick some Nettles and get cracking on the beer.

I do hope I'm not disappointed, many things seem to taste so different from all those years ago.

Happy days!

I am into my 3rd batch of Ginger Beer.

A gazzilion recipes on the Internet but i am still experimenting.

I have had the exploding bottles et al.

Don't know if nettles exist here in Canada but I will keep the recipe..

Thanks PopT & deecee

I am into my 3rd batch of Ginger Beer.

A gazzilion recipes on the Internet but i am still experimenting.

I have had the exploding bottles et al.

Don't know if nettles exist here in Canada but I will keep the recipe..

Thanks PopT & deecee

You're welcome sweetdexter,

have you actually tried the ginger beer yet ,or are you still waiting patiently for it to brew !

I have found this article on nettles in Ontario, so I'm sure you must have them somewhere around where you live. Perhaps the local library could help .Don't forget to wear your gloves though when you're picking them.

good luck ,I hope you find some to try out the recipe

deecee

Nettle (Urtica Dioica)

This herb is rich in iron, vitamin C, chlorophyll and histamine and is one of the most nutritious tonic herbs. A common use for Nettles is in cases of anemia or allergic conditions. Due to its astringent properties, it is beneficial for hemorrhaging anywhere in the body. “It was found that horses which had become thin and suffered from digestive troubles, benefited from the use of Nettles in their rations.” (4) “...in Holland, and in Egypt, rumor has it that horse dealers mix the seeds of Nettles with oats or other food, in order to give the animals a sleek coat.”(5)

The herb’s nickname is “Stinging Nettles” because of the formic acid that is on the plant in its fresh form. Nettles should not be picked with bare hands. The formic acid can cause a nasty burning rash. In its dried or cooked form, the formic acid is destroyed and will not cause a problem. Native Americans used the plant as an irritant to relieve pain and rheumatism by increasing circulation by striking the fresh leaves on the body. (1)

Flies dislike Nettles; a bunch hung in the window or doorway will deter them. (2) The fibers have hemp and flax-like qualities and make beautiful paper and woven fabric that was used in the early 1900’s during war time in Germany. Nettle Beer is a folk remedy for gout and rheumatic arthritis. (3)

This sounds great! :thumbsup:

Is it alcoholic though? I would guess it's like brewed ginger beer which has something like 0.1% alcohol but I'm not sure... Does anyone know? :huh:

...also - I don't have any strong bottles or corks. Any suggestions for where I might find them or an alternative?

Nettle Beer

900g (2lb) Young Nettle Tops

4.5lt (8 pints) Water

450g (1lb) Demerara Sugar

2 Lemons

25g (1 oz) Cream of Tartar

15g (½oz) Brewers or Wine Yeast

Wash and drain the nettles.

Finely peel the lemons, removing only the outer waxy layer, squeeze the juice.

Place the nettles and water into a large saucepan and bring to the boil, boil for 15 minutes. (This may be done in batches if you do not have a large enough saucepan.)

Strain the liquid into a large container with the lemon rind and juice and cream of tartar, stir well.

Allow to cool to about 21°C (70°F), remove a little of the liquid and mix with the yeast, stir the yeast mixture into the liquid.

Cover the container with a clean cloth (ensuring that the cloth cannot come into contact with the liquid) and secure with string or elastic.

Leave in a warm place 21°C (70°F) for 3 days.

Strain the liquid into strong bottles and cork.

Secure the corks with wire, leaving a little play (for possible expansion)

Store the bottle in a cool dark place.

If the corks begin to rise, release the wire slightly and re-secure.

The beer should be ready to drink after one week.

Right! Now you're talking my type of fun..I'm off to get the ingredients tomorow

..I'll let you know what i think of it after i've drunk it all..By the way what is the ALC. VOL. ????

• 4 years later...

Archived