Sheffield Star these days

Vovakr

My father worked for the Star virtually all his life. He started as a copy boy after leaving school in the 1939/1940 era. He was then called up for war duty on his 18th birthday but returned to the Star upon his demob. Apart from a few short periods working for Reuters and a Manchester paper, he solely worked for the Star. He was chief reporter circa 1970's, feature editor and had his own column..."Ron Roland's second opinion"....anyone remember that? He died 1988 and was editorial manager i think. Mum tells me he would have never retired, he loved the job and was a true 'old school' journalist.

I remember Ron Roland very well, he was a true gentleman

Bildeburg — which Manchester paper did your father work at? The name seems familiar. I worked for the Manchester Evening Chronicle which was eventually swallowed by the Manchester Evening News, but I could have met him — probably many times — in the Manchester Press Club.

• 5 months later...

Hi Peter, the Manchester paper's name escapes me, but I do have a recording somewhere where my father was interviewed for Radio Sheffield about his career in journalism, and the Manchester paper is mentioned on it. All I do know is that not long after he started there (he was offered the Rome office for Reuters, but as Mum was pregnant with me she didn't want to go) the paper folded. I was born in Manchester 1961, but we all came back to Sheffield when I would have been about 6 months old, so you should be able to work out which paper it was from that info.

Cheers,

Jay.

I gave up on the Star about three years ago, having read it since I was a kid (my dad had it delivered) in the seventies.

Somehow it seemed to become increasingly bland: someone not familiar with Sheffield would imagine nothing ever happened if they relied on the Star.

I felt it made the city seem colourless and dull. Open a page at random "...summer fayre at local school..." "...lollipop lady retires.."

The newsteam seemed so desperate for ANY news that they would herald often mundane stories with huge headlines.

I also felt there was a strong anti-labour party bias throughout. I'm no left-winger by any means but as long as I can remember the Star seemed to have this hand-wringing attitude towards labour councils.

To say they make such a big thing about being a local paper and trying to convey the news of Sheffield they must be horrified to see websites such as this which, I fel gives much more of a truthful and intimate view of the city.

Anyone ever been involved in a story covered by the Star? I've yet to hear of an event that was covered as people experienced it! they always get something wrong!

The one good thing in the Star was Stephen McClarence's column (long since gone). Maybe the internet will, eventually mean the end of all newpapers...any local event I want to know about, I'll come on this site!

RE Getting it wrong! when a person Iknew died of an overdose of medicenal drugs the STAR reported it as dieing of intoxication[ full stop]. and quite a coverage whilst being technically correct how many people thought it was through alcohol?when a retraction was printed itwas tucked awaywith 2lines

I remember we use to go outside about 6pm and shout Green'Un, then hide and watch every one poking their heads out the door looking for the paper boy:hihi:

oops, thought I was posting on History...sorry !

oops, again..sorry it WAS histrory, I was right first time...sorry again!

Archived