What are you reading at the moment ?

pattricia

Hi, Falls. Changing the subject but how did you go on when you came to Sheffield earlier on ? Was it June time ?

Hi,

We arrived in England June 4th and left on July 27th . We spent a lot of the time in the Sheffield area but were not there when it became the "Venice of the North".

Actually we were in the Stockholm/Helsinki area when the flood came so missed all the excitement. We did however, see a lot of it on the BBC World Service TV.

It was strange to be watching helicopter rescues from places I knew. Also, the water flowing down the Wicker, my old neighbourhood, was almost unbelievable.

Regards

Yes, how extraordinary for you to see The Wicker flooded. Some of the businesses were so badly affected that they havent opened up since. I believe a fishing tackle shop has closed for good. My sister in Connecticut(originally from Sheffield) was amazed when I sent her a video link of the floods by E Mail.

The Cunard book of Cruising. Thinking of going on the QM2 from Southampton to New York next May. Must be after seeing Titanic.:cool:

Hi,

Taking the QM2 from Southampton to New York should be exciting. She is a great ship.

We are looking at taking what are know as a Relocation" cruise some time next year. As you know, many of the cruise ships operate in European waters during the summer but in October/ November ,they move their operations (relocate the ships) to ports in the southen US or Caribbean. Therefore, you might board the ship in, say, Southampton, cruise the Atlantic islands(ie Canaries or Mederia) and/or the Caribbean before disembark in places like Fort Lauderdale. In the spring they do the same thing in reverse. These are good value for money.

Regards

Hi,

Taking the QM2 from Southampton to New York should be exciting. She is a great ship.

We are looking at taking what are know as a Relocation" cruise some time next year. As you know, many of the cruise ships operate in European waters during the summer but in October/ November ,they move their operations (relocate the ships) to ports in the southen US or Caribbean. Therefore, you might board the ship in, say, Southampton, cruise the Atlantic islands(ie Canaries or Mederia) and/or the Caribbean before disembark in places like Fort Lauderdale. In the spring they do the same thing in reverse. These are good value for money.

Regards

Never been on a cruise, but the price has come down a lot in recent years. We only stop in New York(for 5 days in bed & breakfast only) but there are plenty of eating places in N.Y.Then cruise back again. I think its a 17 night one.

Never been on a cruise, but the price has come down a lot in recent years. We only stop in New York(for 5 days in bed & breakfast only) but there are plenty of eating places in N.Y.Then cruise back again. I think its a 17 night one.

Hi,

We are new to cruising - two so far. Same cruise line but different ships. We like them because you arrive, unpack and don't have to repack until its time to come home. The cruise line does the rest.

I spent a lot of my working life living out of suitcases - on and off planes, etc. I became good at packing or travelling light but overall, the novelty worn off before 1980.

17 days sounds about right. Anything shorter than, say, 10 days is going to be disappointing.

Regards

Hi,

We are new to cruising - two so far. Same cruise line but different ships. We like them because you arrive, unpack and don't have to repack until its time to come home. The cruise line does the rest.

I spent a lot of my working life living out of suitcases - on and off planes, etc. I became good at packing or travelling light but overall, the novelty worn off before 1980.

17 days sounds about right. Anything shorter than, say, 10 days is going to be disappointing.

Regards

Which cruise company do you regard as the best ? And what countries have you been to ?

Which cruise company do you regard as the best ? And what countries have you been to ?

Hi,

I'm probably not the right person to answer your questions. You need someone who has much more cruise experience and with different cruise lines.

Obviously, Cunard have a very good reputation and many people swear by them. We haven't tried them yet because they were not going to destinations on a schedule that suited us. Maybe another time. In some respects, cruising is like buying a car: not everyone buys the same make. Many of the smaller cruise lines also offer very good service. Its all a matter of personal choice.

As you are no doubt aware, cruising attracts all sorts of people and there is also a monumental amount of snobbery attached. For example, there are the ones who only travel with Cunard, as if they are the only ships on the ocean. I believe Cunard have separate dinning rooms for different classes of passenger and that seems to appeal to a lot of people (you don't have to mix with lesser mortals in the lower classes).

Others only cruise on UK operated ships while others only sail on American ships. Some have been on so many cruises that they have their favourite cabins on favourite ships. (Can you believe that?). Destinations are not important to them. Many cruise and never get of the ship at ports of call. Others never seem to leave the bar(s) - but that's another story.

Some only go on cruises to the Caribbean while other people (ourselves included) have the Caribbean way down on their list of places to visit - and so on.

Most cruise lines have award systems where you gain points and when you have been on enough cruises and have the points, you get invited to small private swoiree with the captain and senior offices. Of courses, the offices are masters at stroking the egos of these people. After all, its their bread-and-butter. If you don't like that sort of thing, you don't participate.

To answere your other point; we have, so far, cruised the western Med(Spain, France, Italy, Sardinia, etc.) and the Baltic (including St. Petersburg). We hope to do the Eastern Med - perhaps even the Black Sea - but it might not be for couple of years.

Our criteria are: First, and formost, the destinations(port of call); then which cruise line and ships are going there and on what schedule. No we don't have favourite ship or line.

Friends and family have sailed with different lines - large and small so we compare notes. We have never heard of anyone who has had a rotten experience.

Regards

Archived