Good pub in peaks for child friendly beer garden and decent food

guest121

Anyone got any suggestions (not too far from sheff) of a good pub that has a good beer garden and associated facilities i.e slides etc/swings and is tolerant of little ones?

Also, if it could serve good food, as we dont want the usual kid crap you get!

Many thanks my forum fiends!!:thumbsup::love:

There's one at Baslow - the Wheatsheaf. Huge play-area with slides and swings. It's on the right before you head toward Baslow from Owler Bar. Mansfield pub IIRC. Definitely serves food as well.

There's also a pub at the crossroads in Carver, I think it's called the Devonshire Arms which has play areas both inside and out. They also serve decent food.

Closer to home, the Three Merry Lads (as previously mentioned) and The Rivelin. Both are nice. There's also a pub in Stannington (Rose and Crown?) which has slides and stuff in its beer-garden. The Holly Bush in Rivelin surprised me with its nice beer garden.

There are more than you think.

The Strines pub at Strines (down the Rivelin Valley Road (A57) towards Ladybower and turn right just before you drop down the final hill before the reservoir, it's signposted Strines). They've a few swings in a nice enclosed area with new tables/benches, and peacocks roaming around. The views are lovely! And they're happy to serve food outside.

just to update you - just been to the Strines for tea - very nice food, although a little pricey, but pubs usually are overpriced anyway.

all fresh ingredients and freshly made.

excellent kid food - proper small versions of adult meals.

also, excellent veggie choice.

lovely location, with the peacocks too - however, play area for kids is poo - 3 broken swings and one working - nothing else, which is a shame, as otherwise it would have been excellent!

overall - 7/10:thumbsup:

just to update you - just been to the Strines for tea...... however, play area for kids is poo - 3 broken swings and one working - nothing else, which is a shame, as otherwise it would have been excellent!

I thought of you (and my recommendation) when I visited the Strines again this week, and properly looked at the swings (before I read your last post). You are so right, I guess in mitigation one of the 'broken' ones has been converted into a bigger-person swing made out of knotted rope, but the other two are undoubtedly broken. As you said, a shame that the facilities aren't better.

And on a different note, I also went to Fox House as being somewhere nearish where one can sit out and enjoy the evening sun. Bleugh. The service and food is usually good there (given it's not 'homemade' food but some kind of up-market pub formula) but on this occasion it was rubbish. The outside tables were uncleared, with other people's used crockery piled up all over and sticky unwipped tables, and the steak was gristly and not good. Interestingly, the waiter, despite walking past our table a couple of times, made no effort to ask 'is everything all right with your meal?' I guess he knew not to ask!

Anyone any more recommendations of where's nice to sit outside and eat? Personally, I don't need it to be child-friendly, just tables and good food will do nicely!

Archived