Good pub in peaks for child friendly beer garden and decent food

guest121

The recent hot spell has illustrated one thing for sure. That we cannot do 'eating out' like they do on the continent. By this I mean eating outside pubs and restaurants.

You are right. Tables packed solid with empty pint pots; plates left from previous customers; dog muck on grassed areas and the best one of all is that now at the Castle in Castleton, they won't even let you open a tab! You can only sit on tiny tables - not on the larger picnic style ones on the grassed area - and so you huff and puff your way through what should be a pleasant evening meal.

You'd think given the amount of beautiful sunshine we're having, landlords and managers would have taken the opportunity to ensure their outside areas and kiddies' play facilities were in tip top condition. After all, the young family is a large market to pubs these days.

But what do we get? Like someone mentioned above, broken swings, filthy tables, unwashed play facilities and a general couldn't-give-a-hoot attitude from the breweries and independant licencees. (Maybe they're crossing their fingers hoping for the rain to return ASAP?)

It's enough to make you wonder why you bother. Go abroad and you get clean tables, clean and tidy grassed areas, even, decent food, happy staff and wait for it, table service! The whole experience is wonderful. You're made to feel welcome.

Meanwhile in Blighty, everything's a little too much to ask for, isn't it?

The CricketERS !!

Okay, if you're going to be pedantic, it's 'The Cricket Inn', or was, until the new French owners rebranded it 'The Cricket' :roll:

http://www.sheffieldpubs.fsnet.co.uk/Business/pubs/cricket%20totley.htm

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:HgN74hQxhFcJ:www.andrewspages.dial.pipex.com/dby/kelly/dore.htm+cricket+totley&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=7 since 1891, at least :P

Just been to the Strines and we were very disapointed with the food . My husband ordered the lamb shank and he had to return it because it was red raw !!

Myself and my son had steak which was okish Iv bought better steak from morrisons !

I think it may have changed hands recently because I thought the overall cleanliness of the pub had gone downhill !!

The loos were full of old cobwebs !!

Im begining to get peed off with pubs that charge the prices for the food and then deliver something that you could have done better at home !!

food at the cricket inn is naff, posh, poncey and small,

got the posh fish and chips with yorkshire caviar and it consisted of 4 (yes4!!!) big chips, small fish and a tiny drizzle of mushy peas!!!

my dad, who does not do fancy demanded more chips, as did we and although we got them - will not be going back, as it seems to have turned into a foodie type pub for tossers, who do not understand food, but just follow a fad!

used to be a good pub that.........................sigh..........:rolleyes:

Archived