Chequers Pub Coal Aston

Kashul

Hi All

Word to the wise for all the be careful, went to the Chequers for a meal yesterday. We ahve been before and the service has always been poor but the **** is usually passable.

However, yesterday we waited 30 min for our food and then when our sunday dinners arrived the waitress had to bang them down quickly on our filthy table as the watery excuse for gravy was shloshing about all over the place, it really was like brown water.

Scorching hot she managed ok with my plate and my 86 year olkd mother in laws but managed to spill the disgusting mess over my husbands leg. Good job he is a big strong bloke is all I can say, had it been my mother in law or a child it could ahve been extremely serious.

Food was disgusting as well and we had to send back half our cutlery as it was caked in old dried food....Not good, did complain but was just told to send them the dry cleaning bill with a half apology.

I know it is a value for money place but does that mean you get a whatever degree burn in the process and get meals that are really shocking !!!

Just be warned guys, its geting worse in there and now its getting dangerous !! Wear some knee pads before you go in !!!

Rant over ~

Strangely enough there's a sign outside places like this which has the effect of a No Entry sign to people like me. It's a Warning Sign to stay well away - it works.

It usually says something like '2 Meals For a Fiver' or 'Buy Two Meals, Get the Cheapest Free'.

That sees me driving past looking for a venue which I can be sure serves decent and properly priced food and won't be akin to eating 1970s school meals in an environment similar to a zoo where young animals (ie, children) run around screaming at the top of their voices. (This goes some way into explaining why the places are always so scruffy.)

As I've mentioned before, these places are for people who don't usually eat out ('Can I have five cokes and a coffee please?').

Sorry but I disagree, two for one does not mean you ahve to sit in filth, get burnt with scorching hot water thats meant to be gravy and east substandard food.

And also get substandard service !

Thanks for the Owler Bar tip hon, I will try it out next time I go out, I wont be going to Chequers again thats for sure.

Hi All

Word to the wise for all the be careful, went to the Chequers for a meal yesterday. We ahve been before and the service has always been poor but the **** is usually passable.

However, yesterday we waited 30 min for our food and then when our sunday dinners arrived the waitress had to bang them down quickly on our filthy table as the watery excuse for gravy was shloshing about all over the place, it really was like brown water.

Scorching hot she managed ok with my plate and my 86 year olkd mother in laws but managed to spill the disgusting mess over my husbands leg. Good job he is a big strong bloke is all I can say, had it been my mother in law or a child it could ahve been extremely serious.

Food was disgusting as well and we had to send back half our cutlery as it was caked in old dried food....Not good, did complain but was just told to send them the dry cleaning bill with a half apology.

I know it is a value for money place but does that mean you get a whatever degree burn in the process and get meals that are really shocking !!!

Just be warned guys, its geting worse in there and now its getting dangerous !! Wear some knee pads before you go in !!!

Rant over ~

We had a BAD EXPERIENCE at two two for one pubs well you would wouldnt you, the story teller at rotherham where a waiter actually fished out of a bowl of apple pie and custard at the table the desert spoon whcih he had been carrying in the pudding bowl wiped it on a serviette then gave it back to my father in law to eat his pudding with.!!! We complained at that point and did get free deserts not meals, and also at the air baloon at Blackpool airport where i proper flipped the pub was busy and we ordered food and then drinks by the time i had sat down with the drinks the combo starter was out ont he table going cold i asked for it to be replaced and some grinning youth stood and laughed at me and said "the kitchen is quicker than the bar again we are great" at that point my main courses came out !!!

I am not a quiet person and didnt apreciate this poor level of customer service and launched into a verbal lashing of everyone in the pub, eventually the assistant manager came over and asked what was wrong ? i did explain to him and he said that they were short of bar staff at that time but they did have about 20 food staff stood around polishing knives and forks.no offer of free food or anyhihng like it I wrote and emailed the spirit group and got a letter back with a ten pound voucher in it. "for use at the pub in Blackpool" I did return the voucher to them and explained that two for one is great value but not when you have to travel two hundred miles to use a ten quid voucher..

two for one if you must, try the Walnut tree at wakefield, or the same pricing structure from diferent pub chain with a better menu at the lockeepers at worksop and as its by the canal lovely place for a drink after or before your meal.

The Castle at Castleton has also gone downhill (probably had a change of manager by the look of things). This happened when two families headed there last Monday evening.

1 - A pleasant summer's evening we decided we'd eat outside in their nice beer garden. The tables seat four and suffice to say that four people with a drink each would leave little table room for anything else (food, perhaps).

So we asked if we could sit on the larger picnic type tables on the lawn. Admittedly there is a sign saying food will not be served on the lawn area. However, a little discretion can go a long way, so we asked citing the fact that there were five adults, 2 children and 2 babies - we needed space. Could we sit there? Not likely. So we struggled with the tiny tables.

2 - Go inside and order the food. Since time immemorial we have always opened a tab. It's convenient, it's quicker, makes life easier. Ordered drinks, then food and asked if we could open a tab. 'Not if you're sitting outside' was the reply. I nearly spat my froth out. I honestly thought the guy was having us on. Not so. Every time we wanted to order drinks we'd have to pay there and then (with our cards. That must add up in transaction charges but that's their problem). How pathetic is this? Imagine this abroad? 'You can't open a tab as you're sat outside?'

We pointed out that we were hardly going to do a runner with kids and babies in prams in tow. My mum-in-law, I've never seen her run. Maybe someone stole a menu so the plan is let's punish all the rest of our customers.

3 - Food came. Main courses and, oh look, starters as well. Try putting a dozen or so dishes on a table 3 foot by 3 foot wide. And the order was wrong with one dish duplicated and another, well, that went walkabouts.

Credit to the young guy I presumed was manager. He apologised and said we could have desserts/sweets free of charge. So we ordered for the younger members of our group - and they never turned up. The manager left and so we thought, right, maybe it's time to go home.

My children still wanted ice cream so we headed over to the Bull's Head. They saw to us and I'm gald I went in there because it has been done out wonderfully.

Unlike the Castle, they knew what they were doing and wanted out custom.

I commented to the chap behind the bar about the debacle we had just experienced across the road. He pointed to a chap who had just been to the bar and said 'He's said the very same thing.'

Business - it's bloody easy to lose custom; it's a lot harder to gain it. The Castle has just managed to do the former - the Bull, the latter.

Archived