Sportsman Pub - Walkley

Ousetunes

Saturday evening saw the re-opening of The Sportsman pub, just round the corner from the Crown and the Florist in Walkley/Rivelin.

This is a vote of confidence to Nicole and Dave, the new owners. I've known Nicole since she was staff and then landlady of The Rising Sun in Nethergreen. Given time, I'm sure she will transform this traditional little pub into a great place worth making one's local.

If you haven't been in for a while, go introduce yourself to Nicole and her staff.

Her pub could be a little too convenient for me when I finish work, particularly on Saturdays!

Good luck Nicole and Dave!!

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this up here.

Made a visit on Sunday and I have to say the John Smiths is in fine fettle. (I only called in for a 'shandy'; ended up having three pints of Smiths!)

Dave and Nicole are already putting on live acts and I intend to be one in due course.

They'll have to get that piano tuned up first though...,

Oh I'm glad it has reopened. Hope it gets back to be a decent boozer again.

Do they have any cask ale still? It had petered off towards the end and at best it was mediocre.

Cask John Smiths at the mo - very good it is too. They are planning on installing a guest ale pretty soon.

And I'm sure there's space in their fridges for a bottle of Worthington White Shield or two....,

I've had an email about this letting me know it has re-opened with one real ale and a program of events such as quiz nights etc.

Please go in and buy a drink and give the new people some support, we need as many good pubs as we can - use it or lose it as they say!

Bumping this up - come on you stars of the future!!

Tuesday 15th August

Open Mic Night

I am organising an Open Mic Night at the Sportsman this coming Tuesday, 15th August. If you fancy displaying your talents, come down and give us a song from 9pm.

There'll be a PA system, an electric/acoustic and an electric guitar (but feel free to bring your own. Bring a lead also). I shall bring a keyboard too.

This will be a most informal affair so don't be put off thinking your musical skills won't be up to the mark (I've got away with mine for this long!).

For further info, PM me. Otherwise, I hope to see you there.

Dave.

Archived