Crown Inn on Scotland Street- history please!!!

I have heard that the Crown Inn on Scotland Street (just up from West Bar Green near the police station) has a connection with the Sheffield riots (I don't know which). It was also the scene of a murder and has a resident spook. I have looked in the archives at the library but not much is mentioned about it. Does anyone know anything about this pub and the hotel further up the road?:confused:

No, certainly the Crown Inn in Sheffield. Having read your post though I can see how a mix up would be possible and will bear it in mind in my research. The one in Sheffield used to have a reputation of being a wild party sort of place, and the spook inside has a tendancy of playing an organ or piano in the early hours.

In the `R E leader book Reminiscences of old Sheffield. there is an article about the Chartist riots of 1840 and describes one of the meeting places as a public house at the top of Lambert st this is Scotland st but the Crown was at the other side of the road. although I have the book it can be found on the internet and can be read. the Crown was no 33 in 1876 and the Queens hotel was 85 Scotland st was widened late in the 19 century I believe.

• 3 weeks later...

The association may be with the riots of 1791 when the town gaol was trashed and the inmates let loose.

Leader says...

"When the Gaol was pulled down, Smith (ie Thomas Smith, town constable) and the prisoners were removed to premises in Scotland Street, converted from a merchant's warehouse into a Gaol, and still standing, although long ago turned to other purposes. Smith lived in a house adjoining, until, becoming landlord of the Blue Boar, Westbar, Joseph Kirk succeeded him at the Scotland Street Gaol."

Perhaps these premises later became the 'Crown Inn' ?

Archived