Best Chinese food in Sheffield?

okka north

• 1 month later...

I really like Hong Kong Garden on the top of ecclesall rd, next to HSBC! really nice food! always go on a friday and get special fried rice and deep fried chilli king prawns....proper tasty, and you can see the chefs cook 2! they do a 10% student discount, which is good 4 me!! :D.

We've just ordered from Angel on Chesterfield Road, and It was really nice. The Kung Po Beef was nice and spicy, the chow mein was fresh and crunchy, the basic chicken curry was wolfed down by its recipient, and the Thai green curry was very tasty. Portions are large too.

£10.50 for four main meals (I'm always tight and make my own rice!), and a small delivery charge isn't bad for four full tummies, and not having to cook it myself, especially as it tasted good!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Blimey! somebody asks about the best Chinese in Sheffield and we get a tsunami of suggestions from restaurants to corner shops selling bottles of soy sauce and chip butties.

Shall we talk restaurants for a minute?

Best Chinese restaurant in Sheffield? - Sorry, there aren't any. That's the sad fact. If you want a good Chinese restaurant you have to go to Manchester and visit the Yang Sing for example. That's a proper Chinese restaurant - of which there is nothing in Sheffield that can come within a grain of rice of it.

If you're not too discerning and don't mind "mixing it" with a few dozens social ne'er do wells under the influence of alcohol, then CandyTown on the bottom of London Road is cheap and cheerful and will help cure a Chinese urge. "Top Wok" used to be decent (on the Moor) but on my last visit there it was distinctly average - is it still in business?

The Canton Orchard is the poshest one and prices reflect this. Unusually for a Chinese restaurant it has a decent wine list and reasonable decor. The food is...err, ok. It appeals to people who live in big houses at Ranmoor - that's it's main reason for being.

Get on the train and go to Manchester is my advice. There's a proper Chinatown there with loads of choices - none better than Yang Sing.

• 3 weeks later...

i go to uni at manchester and haven't not found one good chinese restaurant in china town! if you want a good chinese in sheffield i would suggest dim sum (london road) and hong kong garden on top of ecclesall road. yum yum yuuuuumy!

well, not wishing to be rude here, but usually University students are not the best recommenders of restaurants due to the fact that the poor souls live off a pittance and can't really afford to splash out on an expensive meal.

I don't know the places in Sheffield that you recommend and I'm glad you've suggested them because I would be genuinely interested to give them a try.

All I would say about Manchester's Chinatown is:

1 Manchester has got one - Sheffield hasn't. Advantage Manchester.

2 The "Yang Sing" on Princess Street has been independently acclaimed to have the best "Chinese" food outside of Hong Kong. That is some accolade?

I'd suggest you try the Yang Sing sometime when you are feeling flush, or even the "Pacific" which does Chinese and Thai.

And if you are telling me that the takeaways you mention in Sheffield are better than these then I will not just buy food from them, I'll buy shares in them.

By the way, I am from Sheffield. I have no affinity with Manchester whatsoever - but, credit where credit's due eh?

well, not wishing to be rude here, but usually University students are not the best recommenders of restaurants due to the fact that the poor souls live off a pittance and can't really afford to splash out on an expensive meal.

ha ha you'd be surprised! either you havent been to university or you went a long long time ago. anyway, sheffield does have a china town, although it is unofficial and doesnt have an arch. and why are you going on about manchester? this is called "sheffield forum" for a reason, and this thread is called "best chinese in sheffield" isn't it? as far as chinese places in SHEFFIELD go, there is a wealth to choose from, and id be very surprised if you have tried them all. stop being so anti-sheff and support our city's entrepreneurs!

Archived