Lodge Moor local history

Cols

Algy

I made it to the talk as well. I'm the one who came in 5 minutes late. Interesting it was too. Thanks for letting me know about it.

One thing that I'm a bit quizzical about was that the speakers were saying they were not sure what the earthworks were before they started investigating. I would have thought that the fact that the place is called "Hill 60" was clue enough to tell them it had a WW1 connection.

I must go exploring over there now that the weather is improving.

Hi Cols, glad you thought it worthwhile. I wish there'd been a bit more archaeology and a bit less emotional excerpts, but that's me. I take your point about Hill 60. The only thing I can think is I don't think it's marked as Hill60 on the map, and the people leading the investigation weren't aware of the Pals history when they started.

Anyhow, happy hunting!

• 6 years later...
Hi Col

Have you discovered whether there is a Lodge Moor Local History Society? I have found reference to a website but it is inactive.

Delboy

There was a "Lodge Moor local history and conservation group " I was the Chairman and our historian was a mad Scots Piper called Gordon Hulme. Gordon was the fount all knowledge lodge moor and redmires. The group formed to clean up wyming brook and to close it to traffic which we successfully did and had great times fundraising. People moved away and we dissbanded. Happy Days

• 6 years later...
Many thanks for that information, Mrs Murdoch was my great aunty. Nice to put some detail to the family story.

Mrs Murdoch was my Grandma so we must be related. I saw your post when checking the date of the crash with my cousin on Saturday. We were both spooked as we do not know who you are. I am Elaine Maxon daughter of Jean Elsie Maxon nee Murdoch. My cousin is Lisa Murdoch daughter of Ronald Murdoch my Mum's brother. It would be great to find out who you are before I return to Portugal in early November.

---------- Post added 24-10-2017 at 19:51 ----------

I hope you have seen my reply.