Sport Aid '88 Hillsborough Park

I remember Big Country because they were the reason I went but I was a bit disappointed that they were only allowed 4 songs. As well as the ones you mentioned I remember The Primitives (they mimed their set) and Eddy Grant who headlined. He's not normally my cup of tea but he was brilliant, spirited and stirred everyone up loads.

Out of the local bands I remember Don Valley and the Rotherhides who, if you don't remember them, were a protest skiffle band with comedy thrown in and a gospel out fit called Eliakim who i haven't heard of before or since.

I went to this and still have clips on video somewhere! I remember painstaking searching the crowd for clips of me and kept seeing my then boyfrriend (he was 6 3") but not me (i'm 5 2 and a bit")

Looking back it was quite a big event for Sheffield.

I remember the Primitives and being disappointed a bit that they mimed (Big fan of them) Remember the Proclaimers (Scotland no more, - think it was pre 500 miles but memory is hazy), Womack and Womack who didn't quite seem to fit the bill, Heaven 17 and Tricky Dicky from Eastenders being their backing vocalist. Big Country were v good - did Then Jericho play as well or did i just imagine that? I remember being very disappointed that Eddy Grant was the headline act but he took me by surprise and was excellent!

Climie Fisher - now that's an act that's not stood the test of time...

God, I forgot about The Hollies they'd had a bit of a second wind with He Ain't Heavy being reissued around then didn't they?

Can't even remember Heaven 17 or The Proclaimers at all and I was there from the beginning! My poor memory is full of holes.

Eddy Grant was the headline act but he took me by surprise and was excellent!

This is my fourth attempt at trying to endorse how wonderful Eddy Grant was. I hope this post is suitable for a family forum.

Phew! It's warm in here...

:blush:

Hi, I was just talking about this the other day. I remember going with my friend but we didn't have tickets so we stood on parkside road and watched from there. Eventually everyone else seemed to disappear and we were the only ones left. A policeman walked by and he told us they were letting people in for free, needless to say you didn't see us for dust. Now only did we manage to get in for free we got right to the front. I remember Womack & Womack, Eddie Grant and Mica Paris. It was a great day and we got on tv aswell.

im glad some peeps remember this my friends think i was dreaming it .i remember the proclaimers mica paris and the rest too, yea it was a good afternoon i remember wearing black bin liners because it was raining .18 years ago eh wheres it all gone

Archived