Sport Aid '88 Hillsborough Park

I remember Big Country because they were the reason I went but I was a bit disappointed that they were only allowed 4 songs. As well as the ones you mentioned I remember The Primitives (they mimed their set) and Eddy Grant who headlined. He's not normally my cup of tea but he was brilliant, spirited and stirred everyone up loads.

Out of the local bands I remember Don Valley and the Rotherhides who, if you don't remember them, were a protest skiffle band with comedy thrown in and a gospel out fit called Eliakim who i haven't heard of before or since.

Hey I was the guitarist in the Band Eliakim, we did everything and played everywhere, festivals, TV, played Wembly, Ronnie Scotts etc, etc; generated immense interest from all the record companies and A/R people, did showcase after showcase but they would not sign us at all.

Now Virgin are saying that they want to promote British Gospel Music on a World Wide stage, maybe we were just a band ahead of their time.

• 3 months later...
Hey I was the guitarist in the Band Eliakim, we did everything and played everywhere, festivals, TV, played Wembly, Ronnie Scotts etc, etc; generated immense interest from all the record companies and A/R people, did showcase after showcase but they would not sign us at all.

Now Virgin are saying that they want to promote British Gospel Music on a World Wide stage, maybe we were just a band ahead of their time.

Bummer! The music industry is very fickle, sorry to hear you worked so hard without getting as far as you hoped. I bet you had some good times though. Maybe you could blow the dust off your guitar and catch the new wave of gospel interest man!

Sorry, I don't specifically remember your guitaring but I do remember your bass player being very good.

Archived