Motorcycles using bus lanes...

I thought it would be a good thing to explain to everyone on the Sheffield forum that Solo Motorcycles now have the right to use all the bus lanes in sheffield, at all times, apart from Bus Gates.

Several of my friends in the local motorcycling community have gone as far as to write to the council to confirm this new status before risking the use of the bus lanes, and have been reassured with official confirmation. In due course all the lane signage will be marked with solo motorcycle symbol as the london road/abbeydale corridor already has. This has been delayed due to the huge cost of the signage. :thumbsup:

muddycoffee,

Thanks very much indeed for this info. My other half and I were wondering if it would come in, we knew there was a trial lane on Abbeydale Road. This is great news for bikers. Incidentally, are other bikers aware that they can use council pay and display car parks free if the don't park in a car space? The council's bike parking policy isn't very well publicised imho, ie I don't think it says this on the pay and display machines. I think it is also true that we can use the push-bike parking places free in town, too.

I've just rang Paul Fell (Transport Planning Team Transport & Highways Division Sheffield City Council )

to clarify the 'bus gate' issue, and he's stated that there isn't really any such thing as a 'bus gate' they are all now just known as bus lanes, and that motorcyclists can use them.

I asked specifically about Hillsborough Corner, and he says yes it is fine for motorcyclists to go straight through as it is just a bus lane.

About Parking your bike in town, as a newish rider last year I was a bit confused with certain parking bays on the road, such as on Cross Burgess Street (near John Lewis) as there are a few car parking bays, then a Solo Motorcycle parking bay, and a pay and display machine - I wasn't sure if motorcyclicsts were expected to pay as well as cars, so I asked a traffic warden, and all solo motorcycle bays are free :)

Whilst on the subject of Bus Gates does anyone have any info as to when the council are going to pluck up courage and install the cameras on the Hillsborough bus gate or is it another of Labour's all talk and no do policies.

Whilst on the subject of Bus Gates does anyone have any info as to when the council are going to pluck up courage and install the cameras on the Hillsborough bus gate or is it another of Labour's all talk and no do policies.

When I rang Paul Fell, he said that the signs at Hillsborough will be updated very soon, as they are going to be putting up the cameras etc.

Maybe they are waiting until after Bradfield road is re-opened, as all the traffic is having to use the bus lane at present.

Archived